Monday, March 13, 2017

If You Enjoyed Masterpiece's Victoria…



I fell in love with Princess Victoria’s story when I first watched Young Victoria (2009).  I always pictured this queen as boring and dowdy until I learned how much she overcame as a young teen to be taken seriously as queen. I also love that she is short (like me!). Recently I’ve been enjoying Victoria on Masterpiece Theater, which is like Young Victoria, but in more depth. If like me, you’re having Victoria withdrawals, here are some young adult titles to keep you firmly immersed in this time period.


BEWITCHING SEASON
 

Synopsis (from Goodreads):

In 1837 London, young daughters of viscounts pined for handsome, titled husbands, not careers. And certainly not careers in magic. At least, most of them didn't.

Shy, studious Persephone Leland would far rather devote herself to her secret magic studies than enter society and look for a suitable husband. But right as the inevitable season for "coming out" is about to begin, Persy and her twin sister discover that their governess in magic has been kidnapped as part of a plot to gain control of the soon-to-be Queen Victoria. Racing through Mayfair ballrooms and royal palaces, the sisters overcome bad millinery, shady royal spinsters, and a mysterious Irish wizard. And along the way, Persy learns that husband hunting isn't such an odious task after all, if you can find the right quarry.



This is a historical fantasy take on young Queen Victoria’s ascent to the throne, a magical explanation for real history. Like all of Doyle’s work, it is lush and descriptive with tons of authentic period details. This is my favorite of the Leland sister’s novels, probably because I related to Persephone the most and because of Queen Victoria's story line. 

PRISONERS IN THE PALACE

Synopsis (from Goodreads):


London, 1838. Sixteen-year-old Liza's dreams of her society debut are dashed when her parents are killed in an accident. Penniless, she accepts the position of lady's maid to young Princess Victoria and steps unwittingly into the gossipy intrigue of the servant's world below-stairs as well as the trickery above. Is it possible that her changing circumstances may offer Liza the chance to determine her own fate, find true love, and secure the throne for her future queen?

While Bewitching Season gives us insights into Victoria through an upper class girl’s viewpoint (albeit one who can do magic), Prisoners in the Palace shows us what it was like to be “downstairs” in Princess Victoria’s house. I loved the meticulous historical detail in this one, and the way Liza helps the Princess to find her strength. 


If you enjoyed PRISONERS IN THE PALACE, also check out MacColl’s historical mysteries about Victorian British and American authors: Always Emily (Emily Bronte), Nobody’s Secret (Emily Dickinson), and The Revelation of Louisa May (Louisa May Alcott).





Did you watch the new Victoria series? What are your favorite books set in the Victorian time period?

10 comments:

  1. I have the Victoria series taped. I'm debating whether to watch it. You making me lean toward yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you should, Natalie! I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

      Delete
  2. I guess I really don't know that much about her past what I've seen in the news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then, Alex, you need to read more. She's very interesting person--if only to read how she took the throne despite her overbearing relatives.

      Delete
  3. Yes! I loved this show, mainly because of Jenna Coleman. And it really brought the early Victorian period to life. I knew so little about her early years as Queen (never saw the 2009 program -- my mother insists it was better). I haven't read many Victorian-era novels. Does A Great and Terrible Beauty count? How about Clockwork Angel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jenna Coleman is so good. The 2009 program is very good--it mostly focuses on the romance between Victoria and Albert and Victoria taking the throne, if I remember correctly. One of my favorite things about the new series is the "below stairs" stories.
      And yes, those titles you mentioned do "count." Both are Victorian historical fantasy, if I remember correctly.

      Delete
  4. My goodness, they all sound so good! Can you see my TBR list growing? I can't decide if this is a good thing. It is, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll love these, Crystal! I have the same problem with my TBR list. :)

      Delete
  5. Somehow when I think of Victoria, I never think of her as being young.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too--until I watched some of these films and read these books. But she was eighteen when she became queen.

      Delete