Wednesday, August 2, 2017

ISWG: Should a Hero or Heroine be Heroic?



This month’s question is:  What is your pet peeve when writing/editing/reading?

I don’t know how many times I’ve been told that a character needed to change by the end of the story—the bigger the change, the better. If you ever read Anatomy of a Story (John Truby), one of my favorite books on writing, he says the key to a satisfying story is starting with a character with a deep moral flaw.



However, lately I’ve given some thought to this, and I’m not sure I agree. Every time I’ve tried to craft a character with a major change, I have to make that character really detestable at the beginning. And there’s the problem: the reader must put up with this nasty character for quite awhile before the “change.”

In one of my novels like this, a CP told me she hated that character, but I persevered, sure that if I could make the character arc big enough, I could make this character’s story satisfying. But then I put the book aside for awhile and upon rereading it, realized I hated this character too. It doesn’t matter how much she changes at the end—I still don’t like her. Needless to say, that novel is trunked.

I’ve put down two kidlit books recently where the main character made a bad choice that didn’t feel justified. (For the record: If the main character is like Jean Valjean and stealing bread to feed his sister’s children, that is one thing. But if a character is stealing to impress the mean girl clique, you've lost me as a reader.)

I’m currently writing and revising a novel where I thought the main character would be unlikeable. He has a lot of issues. He’s “rough around the edges.” He gets in fights. But the reason why he does these things (like Valjean’s bread) is morally upright. I think Prince Jaron in THE FALSE PRINCE is like this.
He’s tough and reckless, but he’d willingly lay down his life to save the girl he loves and his kingdom. Call me old-fashioned, but I think there needs to be at least a kernel of goodness (or a large kernel preferably) in our main characters.

Now I focus less on making sure my character changes in a big way. I’m not advocating perfect characters, but if there’s nothing heroic, nothing that makes me admire this character for being particularly kind or brave, I’m not going to keep reading.

That is why I no longer create characters that are unlikeable for most of the book. Now if there were more authors who did the same…


What is Insecure Writer's Group?

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time - and return comments. This group is all about connecting!
 
Check out our sign up and participating blogs here.

 

22 comments:

  1. I think your character just has to change in some way. Like maybe he never asks for help and learns that he can't go it alone. And I loved The False Prince. Jaron is such a great character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree that the character needs to change--I think it's just balancing that with making the character someone you can also look up to or would like to keep reading about.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jenni,
    I like your old-fashioned because I definitely believe in pointing out the positive and showing goodness. I believe we have lost our sense of seeing goodness as one of the most valuable attributes.
    All the best.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Patricia at Everything Must Change

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Sometimes it seems like we take pleasure in pointing out everyone's (or even our own) flaws. Thanks for focusing on the positive, Pat!

      Delete
  3. A character has to have a Save the Cat moment, something that defines his good side, or you've lost me as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reminding me of Save the Cat. That's a book I definitely need to read.

      Delete
  4. Couldn't agree more. If I don't like a main character, I sure am not going to read for very long. Sure, the character has to change, but they don't have to start out despicable to accomplish that. Alex's comment reminds me, I really have to read Save the Cat. On my list of things to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Character is why I stay with a book and remember it long after I finished it.

      Delete
  5. You raise some great points, Jenni. I struggled so much with this when I wrote my first book (now discarded). My main character had so far to grow that no one liked her for quite a long time. There's no point in showing the change by the end if no one gets there.
    That said, I do think the best characters still have plenty of room to grow...but it can be in more subtle ways. A "deep moral flaw" can be a lack of trust, that makes him rely on his own plans instead of trusting God or friends. Or it can be an unwillingness to see the best in someone...or a refusal to see someone else's point of view... I guess we all have so much room to grow in our own lives, we can readily identify with someone whose small struggles create trouble in their stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I guess we all have so much room to grow in our own lives, we can readily identify with someone whose small struggles create trouble in their stories!" So true!

      Gosh, I love being able to comment here as well without the fuss of proving my humanity :)

      Delete
    2. I like the sentence that Vijaya quoted. Yes, that's why our characters need to have some flaws. I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who struggles with creating characters who change!

      Delete
  6. Well, there has to be a change for sure but I'm not sure about the biggest being the most satisfying. If a character is unlikeable, he or she has to have something compelling, on top of save-the-cat moments. I'm thinking of Artemis Fowl. Not particularly likeable but so brilliant you end up rooting for him. Good post for ruminating, Jenni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point - I've always kind of wondered how Colfer managed to make him so likable.

      Delete
    2. I haven't read Artemis Fowl, but it does sound interesting as far as studying the character. I agree that sometimes small changes (such as in many literary middle grades) can be very compelling if done right.

      Delete
  7. I think sympathy is a huge aspect as well. If the reader sympathizes with the character and understands the circumstances that caused the character to be that way, he might be more willing to forgive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sympathy is huge. I think that's why I feel for Jean Valjean, but I can't sympathize when the MC has more superficial reasons for his/her behavior.

      Delete
  8. As a reader, I don't mind an unlikeable protagonist as long as there's something compelling about him or her. If I can understand the motivations for his or her actions, even if it's not something I would ever feel or think, that will help me stay in the story and travel the road with that character. Usually, not always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there's been some books where I didn't like the character, but he or she was so compelling I had to keep reading. It's not the norm for me, and I guess I haven't figured out yet as a writer how to create that kind of character.

      Delete
  9. See, my take is that a character is suppose to want something at the end of the book that's diametrically opposed to what they wanted to begin with. It doesn't have to be that they change as much as their desires change. I think that takes the pressure off of building a character with glaring flaws just so they can be corrected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like how you look at in terms of his/her "wants" changing throughout the book, Crystal. That's really helpful!

      Delete
  10. I think the change could be a misconception or misbelief that the MC comes to grips with. (I've been reading Story Genius, and that's one of her main suggestions.) So maybe not unlikable as much as a different kind of change.

    I enjoyed your post -- thought-provoking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry. Late to the party here, but I couldn't help noting my agreement. I adored False Prince--really excellent writing--and I have an equally hard time reading about unlikable brats. I've tried to analyze Once Upon a Time which frequently features sympathetic villains or immoral heroes. Sometimes the writers succeed and sometimes they fail in my opinion. It's been a huge help to me as a writer. Also Janice Hardy has a lot of good advice on this topic. The first post that comes to mind is
    http://blog.janicehardy.com/2016/08/what-makes-your-protagonist-heroic.html

    Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete