Monday, October 27, 2014

MMGM: The Watsons Go To Birmingham--1963



I have been a big fan of Christopher Paul Curtis ever since I read BUD, NOT BUDDY. He hasn’t disappointed me yet in his other books either. I particularly enjoyed ELIJIAH BUXTON and THE MIGHTY MISS MALONE. Somehow I had never got around to reading his very first book, THE WATSONS GO TO BIRMINGHAM.

Now I have, and if you haven’t read this one yet, you are in for a treat.


Here is the synopsis from Amazon:



 Enter the hilarious world of ten-year-old Kenny and his family, the Weird Watsons of Flint, Michigan. There's Momma, Dad, little sister Joetta, and brother Byron, who's thirteen and an "official juvenile delinquent." When Momma and Dad decide it's time for a visit to Grandma, Dad comes home with the amazing Ultra-Glide, and the Watsons set out on a trip like no other. They're heading South to Birmingham, Alabama, toward one of the darkest moments in America's history.

What I loved about this book:

  1. Humor: There are many books who will make me smile, but this book actually made me laugh out loud. The first chapter and the tongue incident are not to be missed. And the Watson parents have the most ingenious (and hilarious) punishments.
  2. Child-like POV: Curtis is a master at capturing a childlike POV. I loved how Kenny believed some of his big brother Byron’s stories, even though they were outrageous, how he viewed his parents, and bullies. About bullies, Kenny says, “I don’t know why bullies have such a good sense of humor, but they do.” Who hasn’t felt that way at times?
  3. Bullies: Bullies have been way overdone in kid’s lit, but I loved how Curtis treated them in the Watsons. The bullies weren’t just two-dimensional egomaniacs. They were three-dimensional, funny and smart with some of the best lines. Byron, Kenny’s brother, was a bully, yet stuck up for Kenny and got upset over a dead bird.
  4. Civil Rights issues dealt with in a gentle way. Although I was expecting that the Civil Rights movement would play a bigger part in this book than it did, I thought the treatment of what went on in Birmingham was gentle enough, especially as seen through Kenny’s eyes, to make this book accessible to kids on the younger end of the middle grade spectrum. Also, the marvelous use of humor balanced out the harsh things the Watsons encountered and made them all the more sympathetic and real.
  5. Episodic vs. Plot-Driven: Although the episodic nature of Watsons is a departure from most contemporary kidlit, I thought it really worked well here. Each chapter was a story in itself with the main plot of Byron’s troublemaking the Watson’s journey to Birmingham tying everything together. If you’re a writer thinking of doing an episodic story, this would be one to study.
 

I could go on and on about the things I loved about this book. My only quibble was a plot point with the Grandma and the strange tangent about magic at the end. But all in all, this is a wonderful book. I’ve had a challenging month as I have a family member seriously ill, so this book was just the medicine needed.

If you like Curtis’ other books, slice-of-life historicals, or The Christmas Story, you will love this book.

If you have read it, and want to continue in Kenny's world, Hallmark made a movie of it last year. I haven't seen it yet, but there is more info here.

Have you read any middle grades that made you laugh recently?



If you're looking for Marvelous Middle Grade suggestions, check out Shannon Messenger's blog.





20 comments:

  1. Civil rights is a tough topic. A subtle touch sounds best for kids.
    His brother is a Byron - too cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Byron was wonderful. Hands-down one of the best bullies and big brothers I've encountered in kid lit.

      Delete
  2. So sorry to hear about your seriously-ill family member.

    I loved this book too. I've also read BUD, NOT BUDDY and THE MIGHTY MISS MALONE and enjoyed them both. Haven't yet read ELIJAH OF BUXTON or the Mr. Chickee books. But I'm so impressed with his writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the Mr. Chickee books either. They sound wonderful. Thanks for stopping by, Joanne and for your kind words.

      Delete
  3. Loved Bud, Not Buddy. I listened to it as a book on tape. I'll have to see if I can do the same with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do. This was even funnier than Bud, Not Buddy, I thought. Although since Bud was my first Curtis book, it will always be my favorite.

      Delete
  4. Oh, this sounds lovely! And despite the fact that I'm usually drawn to plot-driven books, the episodic plot sounds somehow really refreshing. I'll have to pick it up!

    I'm sorry to hear about your ill family member...there's no easy way to deal with that. Hugs!

    --Suzanne
    www.suzannewarr.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the hugs, Suzanne! I think you'll enjoy this one, especially as I know you like historical fiction.

      Delete
  5. I did really like Bud, Not Buddy, but I haven't read this one. I think I will have to, though, as I do have an episodic historical I am working on. Thanks for the review. Sorry you have to deal with an illness in your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then it should be inspiring to you, Rosi! There's so few episodic books being published nowadays, it felt very unique. And thanks for your kind words!

      Delete
  6. So sorry to hear you have a family member who is ill. That's always a tough thing to go through.

    I haven't read any books by Christopher Paul Curtis yet, but I think I'll have to add this to my TBR pile. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristin! I hope you enjoy him. I haven't read anything by Curtis that isn't absolutely amazing. :)

      Delete
  7. Never tried one of Curtis's books. Then again, I read much more YA than MG, but not for a lack of interest. Might have to check this one out.

    Wishing you sanity and sending cheese. Hold in there, eh?

    Unleashing the Dreamworld

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Crystal, for your kind words. I think this is one you will enjoy, especially if you love humor. :)

      Delete
    2. Humor is a must. That's why I hang out with the cheese. =)

      Delete
  8. I haven't read this one. But I did really like THE MIGHTY MISS MALONE, so I'll have to check this one out too. I don't encounter many episodic stories in MG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I loved THE MIGHTY MISS MALONE, but I think I liked the WATSONS even more. Hope you enjoy this!

      Delete
  9. I really love humour in kids books. And I think I have to read this one just to find out about the ingenious punishments! I don't normally gravitate toward historical books, but you've made me want to look this one up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will enjoy it, Kim! Kenny's parents are some of the most enjoyable I've read about it in some time.

      Delete
  10. Civil rights is a hard topic to touch upon.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete