Wednesday, January 6, 2021

IWSG: Why I Stop Reading


 

This post was originally published on January 15, 2014 and updated on January 6, 2020.

I have a confession to make: I sometimes don't finish books.


There's been two in the last week that I've wanted to throw against the wall. Both, by the way, were for adults. So, maybe I just need to keep reading kidlit.


There were books that started out well. I loved the characters, the voice, and was drawn into the story from the first chapter.


Why did I stop?


Here's a few reasons I can't bring myself to finish:


1. The character does something completely out of character. I don't buy it, and I can't get past it.


2. There is a shocking revelation that doesn't fit the stories or characters.


3. The character doesn't have agency. Everything seems to happen to him/her, but he/she never makes things happen. I really hate to see this in kidlit especially, as kids need good role models for how to be kind and set boundaries.


4. A middle that drags after an enticing beginning. The book I didn't finish recently started out with a really interesting mystery and then plunged into backstory. Don't do that!

5. Purple prose. I'm not a fan of too much description. And thus, I was never able to get through The Hobbit.




What makes you stop reading?

 

What is Insecure Writer's Support Group?

 

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time - and return comments. This group is all about connecting! Be sure to link to this page and display the badge in your post. And please be sure your avatar links back to your blog! Otherwise, when you leave a comment, people can't find you to comment back.

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Our Twitter handle is @TheIWSG and hashtag is #IWSG.

Every month, we announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say. 

Remember, the question is optional!

January 6 question - Being a writer, when you're reading someone else's work, what stops you from finishing a book/throws you out of the story/frustrates you the most about other people's books?

The awesome co-hosts for the January 6 posting of the IWSG are Ronel Janse van Vuuren , J Lenni Dorner, Gwen Gardner Sandra Cox, and Louise - Fundy Blue!



7 comments:

  1. Great post! This is the second time I've seen mention of 'the protagonist does something out of character' today. Interesting.
    Wishing you a Wonderful-Writing New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I've heard mention of the protagonist not being in character a number of times too. Also too much description, which is a big one for me too. I loved Tolkien's books as a kid but worry they'd be too slow-paced and have too much description for me now. And I don't finish all books either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your list, especially #3. When a character is always reacting instead of acting, it often irritates me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on things starting well then falling apart or taking a strange turn. I've noticed that a lot lately with newer movies I've watched.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I'm excited when you start a book with a good story and characters. But if the middle sags and grows flat, I start skimming like a sloth on a sugar surge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hardly ever give up on a book, but sometimes I regret that decision and feel I have really wasted my time. Any number of things can put me off, but I think characters not staying true to themselves is my biggest complaint. Fun post. Thanks for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely list -- one that gives me ideas on how to continue to improve my own writing as it does give me another excuse to throw a book at the wall (sad to say, I'm reading e-books almost 100% now because of the ability to change the font size!). I especially like your point about characters having agency (especially women). Another blogger this month pointed out the need for more diversity. Both concepts good to ponder. Have a very good 2021. We all need that.

    ReplyDelete