Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Why I Stop Reading

I have a confession to make: I sometimes don't finish books.


There's been two in the last week that I've wanted to throw against the wall. Both, by the way, were for adults. So, maybe I just need to keep reading kidlit.


There were books that started out well. I loved the characters, the voice, and was drawn into the story from the first chapter.


Why did I stop?


Here's a few reasons I can't bring myself to finish:


--The character does something completely out of character. I don't buy it, and I can't get past it.


--There is a shocking revelation (!) that doesn't fit the stories or characters.


--The character doesn't have agency. Everything seems to happen to him/her, but he/she never makes things happen.


--A middle that drags after an enticing beginning.




What makes you stop reading?


No comments:

Post a Comment