Tuesday, May 6, 2014

IWSG: The Shiny Manuscript Syndrome




It's sparkly! It's shiny! It's a new manuscript!
I am a fickle with my manuscripts. I don’t love them equally. I always have a favorite.

I just started a new project, and I’m besotted.

Recently, I gushed to my husband: “This is the best thing I’ve ever written. I love the characters! I’ve never written anything like this before.”

To which, husband responds (with a hint of sarcasm): “You’ve never said that before.” 

All right. I say that every time. 

I am always infatuated with a new story at first. 

I think it also has to do with the story playing in my head, how I think success will come. I have read so many “how I got my agent” or “how I got my book deal” stories where the author talks about “knowing it was the one” or “writing like she/he had never written before.”

Somehow I think if I feel something different with a manuscript—if my heart sings, then maybe that’s the sign. This is the one.

But maybe that’s not how my story is going to go. And maybe it’s just that I’m starting something new, and it hasn’t been ripped to pieces by critique partners yet.

Usually by the time I query something, I’m not even sure if I like it anymore.


Someday I’ll learn how to love my manuscripts equally—and not just put all my hope in the newest, freshest one.


Because the ones already written deserve some affection too.














Insecure Writer's Support Group

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time.


Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Our Twitter hashtag is #IWSG


 For more posts in this blog hop: http://www.insecurewriterssupportgroup.com



19 comments:

  1. I feel the same : ) I especially don't like projects after I've sent them off. I think it's a protective measure or something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of it that way, but that's so true. If I don't like it, the rejections don't sting so much. :)

      Delete
  2. "Usually by the time I query something, I’m not even sure if I like it anymore." -- Great line Jenni! So true.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've worked on a project so long, that when I send it off, I'm so full of doubt! Not really sure why:) I guess it is a protective measure in case someone rejects it! Thanks for the visit today:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to meet you, Jennifer! Yes, I guess it's good that we send it out full of doubt--perhaps that means we'll be pleasantly surprised if good things come of it.

      Delete
  4. Even if it's not, that excitement will propel you to the end and you'll enjoy the ride. And you'll gain even more skill in the process.
    I'm odd - I don't like my stories much in the beginning. It's not until I get it all down on paper that I really like them.
    And welcome to the IWSG! (Since I don't think I've been by yet to say that.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point--I hope to keep the excitement going. Because usually at the middle (I'm about there now), I start to fizzle out. I get excited again when I type THE END.
      Thanks for the warm welcome, Alex!

      Delete
  5. I remember a year ago being SOOO in love with the story I'm currently querying; I knew it was THE ONE; right now I feel almost feel blah about it. Which is a good thing I suppose; the rejections don't hurt so much! It's funny the stages we go through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny the stages we go through. It just goes to show that I can't be very objective about anything I write. Good luck on your querying, Margo!

      Delete
  6. I'm fighting off shiny new manuscript syndrome right now. I'm 40k into my wip, and seriously considered just stopping to work on the new idea- which involves CARS & ALIENS! (my heart gets happy even thinking about it!) But it'd be crazy to just stop on my wip, b/c 40k? I'm over halfway done! Must fight SNM syndrome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, CARS AND ALIENS does sound intriguing! I know what you mean. I often get a shiny new idea right in the middle of a draft, when I get discouraged that I'll never make it to the end. Don't give in!

      Delete
  7. I say that each time too. My theory is every time I write a story I'm that much better, so I should expect to like it more and see the improvement. :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good point. I think that's part of it too. It's amazing how it takes another book to make a leap in skills.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Many writers get the "Oh, shiny" excitement, and most love their characters. You're in good company there! I guess that really helps in pressing through to the end. I wish I ever felt like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that's only natural. Of course, if you're like me, around page 40 or so that luster starts to fade and you start to doubt if you have what it takes to make that great idea a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooo, shiny new ideas are so much fun. That's why I often put them on the back burner and let them stew awhile. I think all writers come to that point with all manuscripts. We love them. We hate them. They might be okay. Then the cycle repeats.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL, yes, the shiny new ones ARE so lovely! It's like getting a new car - so easy to get infatuated with its newness, long before you learn about how the door jams when it's humid or your favorite radio station never comes in right, and never mind when things start to break...same thing with manuscripts, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's good that you fall in love every time! You do a better job writing when you love it, right? And new manuscripts are really fun when you start. It's the courting stage, LOL.

    ReplyDelete