Monday, July 20, 2020

MMGM Hodgehodge: Local Reading Challenge and Picnic Projects

A few of the of MG books I own that I haven't read yet.
With inter-library loans not available this summer, I’ve been thinking of setting a new challenge to try to read more locally. By local, I mean my own bookshelf. Some people do a "pantry challenge" to try to just eat the food they've already purchased. This is my version for bibliophiles.

I’m probably going to tackle Nicholas Benedict first, since it's a prequel to the wonderful The Mysterious Benedict Society, and then there’s 100 Cupboards, which my kids told me has a tie in to Narnia. I loved The Invention of Hugo Cabret, so I hope I will enjoy Marvels and Wonderstruck. I didn't like the Wonderstruck movie, but I'm hoping for better things with the book. Books are almost always better! I've read the Shakespeare Stealer (and loved it!), but haven't read the sequels in this volume. Have you read any of these titles? Which do you recommend?





I’m also doing a shout out today to another MMGM poster, June McCrary Jacobs, and her new nonfiction release, Kids Love to Stitch--Book 1.

I learned to sew in elementary school and really enjoyed home ec in junior high. It's too bad I still don't have my purple and white striped wind sock! I still like doing the occasional project. I’ve sewn some decorations for our house and even a few clothes for myself.

What I really liked about this book is that June devotes a good amount of the book to basic sewing instructions, including safety instructions. Her advice on not listening or watching something else while sewing is very good, especially for beginners!
Star pocket--a perfect spot for holding treasures

Her two projects are simple and easy for beginning sewers. I’m partial to the star pocket, which would be great for holding silverware for summer barbecues, but I probably would've kept my collection of shells in it as a kid. The tic-tac-toe game provides hours of crafting and playing.

A game to make and play

Books that teach how to make things are important. Working with your hands is very rewarding and satisfying, and the more digital life becomes, the more important it is to find ways to work with our hands. The ability to sew is a great life skill that can also save money.

So if you have a kid in your life that needs something to keep them busy this summer or you think would enjoy learning a new skill, check out June's new book.

Do you like to sew or work with your hands? What books are on your summer reading list?

To check out more MMGM titles, please go to Greg Pattridge's Always in the Middle blog.
 

9 comments:

  1. That's a great idea to read from your bookshelf. I'm getting some books from Libby and a few on reserve from my library but I have a stack of books at home I good read too.

    And June's book sounds cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict is absolutely wonderful! I didn't love books 2 and 3 of the series as much as book 1, so reading this prequel rekindled my love of the series! I thought Picnic Projects looked great on June McCrary Jacobs's blog, and I appreciate your thoughts about it! Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list of books. I've found my own treasure trove of books in various cabinets and boxes. June's book on sewing sounds like a winner and my sewing skills are terrible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for featuring my sewing book on your blog, Jenni! I really appreciate the time and effort you spent writing such a nice post. :0} ----------- I love your idea of your 'local reading challenge'. I've read through many of the books on my own shelves these past few months, and I rediscovered some real treasures and also read a few books that made me question why I kept them in the first place???? Thanks for sharing this informative post for MMGM.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a firm believer of taking advantage of all the things that are already at home. June's book looks so great--sewing is becoming a lost art and what freedom when you know how to make things.

    My mom taught me many of the home arts and I confess I feel terrible about not passing all I know to my own kids, but we still have time together so I hope they'll show more interest. They do like to cook and they've taught me much about art so I don't mind sewing/mending their clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved to sew, knit, do needle point and many other crafts as a child, teen and young adult. I would have loved this book. I like that she features a hand-stitched game. I always made home Christmas gifts -- like beautiful Christmas tree skirts, personalized stockings etc. I sewed well into my 30s, and then stopped.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a fun book to learn some sewing skills. I haven't sewn in a long time- though I did take sewing in Home Economics growing up. :)

    I haven't read Marvel- but I read Wonderstruck. I did like the book- but The Invention of Hugo Cabret was my favorite. Hope you enjoy all the books you are reading "locally". :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even if I started today, I doubt I could ever finish all the books in my TBR pile. Home libraries for bibliophiles are a rich resource, never more than now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been reading more books of my own, but there is no way I will ever get through all of them. It is a nice thought though. June's book looks great, doesn't it? Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete