Monday, February 8, 2021

MMGM: Macy McMIllan and the Rainbow Goddess


I actually picked up this book because the Middle Grade book club on Goodreads was reading one of Shari’s other books, and this one sounded good. I am always glad to support books that feature kids with disabilities, where the disability is not the whole story. 

And if you like novels in verse and contemporary middle grade with all the feels, you will love this one too. Bonus points: Shari is a longtime Blueboard member like me.

Synopsis from Amazon:

Sixth grade is coming to an end, and so is life as Macy McMillan knows it. Already a "For Sale" sign mars the front lawn of her beloved house. Soon her mother will upend their perfect little family, adding a stepfather and six-year-old twin stepsisters. To add insult to injury, what is Macy's final sixth grade assignment? A genealogy project. Well, she'll put it off - just like those wedding centerpieces she's supposed to be making.

Just when Macy's mother ought to be understanding, she sends Macy next door to help eighty-six-year-old Iris Gillan, who is also getting ready to move?in her case into an assisted living facility. Iris can't pack a single box on her own and, worse, she doesn't know sign language. How is Macy supposed to understand her? But Iris has stories to tell, and she isn?t going to let Macy's deafness stop her. Soon, through notes and books and cookies, a bond grows between them. And this friendship, odd and unexpected, may be just what Macy needs to face the changes in her life.

Shari Green, author of Root Beer Candy and Other Miracles, writes this summer story with the lightest touch, spinning Macy out of her old life and into a new one full of warmth and promise for the future.

What to love:

1. Great POV character: I loved seeing the world through Macy’s eyes. Her deafness was part of her, but not all of her. Her range of emotions from anger to sadness was very relatable and authentic.

2.  Iris! There are a lot of MGs where the main character meets and learns something from an older generation. But Iris is truly her own person. She had great insights into people. Ex: I don’t know that anyone is exactly who they say they are. I loved how she provided a soft space to land for Macy as she navigates her changing family and friendships. 

3. Realistic family issues: I think a lot of kids will relate to Macy’s mixed feelings about Mom getting married after it just being her and her mom. However, I did wish at times that the adults showed more understanding to Macy. The emphasis was mostly on Macy to adjust, rather than her mom to ease the way for her.

4. Cookies! There’s nothing like cookies, especially ones that send warm messages (think the language of flowers, but with food). I also really enjoyed the recipe at the end for sugar and spice cookies. Yum!

5. Nods to all my favorite reads: Green wove in references to a lot of my favorites from The Tales of Desperaux to Les Miserables. This added a lot of depth to the story, and if readers haven’t read all these books, I hope it will inspire them to check them out for themselves.

Content issues: 

*Iris is the “Rainbow Goddess” of the title as she was named after the Egyptian goddess. For families or children that are sensitive to references to goddesses (my son found it very upsetting at a certain age), it's not a major part of the story, but you might want to preread. 

*Iris doesn't know her father. This is mentioned briefly and would be something for parents/teachers to discuss.

It’s always fun to read a fellow Blueboarder’s book. If you like MG fiction that tugs at your heartstrings, you will enjoy Macy McMillan!

If you'd like to read more middle grade reviews or join in the MMGM fun, go to Greg Pattridge's Always in the Middle blog.


8 comments:

  1. What a cute cover! This sounds like an awesome book. I don't read too many stories told in verse, but I might like this one. And it's great for kids with disabilities to have some stories featuring them as the MC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be a really tough time for a kid. At least her neighbor Iris was understanding even if her mom wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, this one sounds good! I love generational type stories and with Macy's disability, it opens up for many good discussions. Thanks for the review. I'll be tracking down a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always looking for books on kids who have hearing impairments, cochlear implants or are deaf. There are so few, many out of print. So I am delighted to read your review and I love the focus on abilities and the intergenerational friendship! And, it's the first time I've heard "assisted living" in a book -- usually they lump everything into nursing home. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought this book, but I may have gotten rid of my copy during one of my bookshelf clean-outs, which is a shame, because I really want to read it now! I remember Maria Antonia also recommending it recently. Also, I had no idea it was a Schneider winner! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this one and didn't know anything about it. Because of the title I thought I was read a fantasy book. Nope! It was a surprise to find out it was realistic fiction- but I enjoyed Macy and Iris so much. I hope it makes people curious about ASL if they don't know some already and they start to learn. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a good one. Macy sounds like a terrific character with problems a lot of kids will relate to and some they need to know about. I will look for this one. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my favorite reads from last year! Love this book!

    ReplyDelete