Wednesday, June 2, 2021

ISWG: Letting the Paint Dry

 


If there’s one thing I’ve learned over this writing journey is that you can’t rush.

When I first started writing, I different goal posts in mind. Get published by x age. Or after x years. Somehow I thought that meant success.

I definitely made the mistake of rushing—and not shelving—that first draft of my first novel. With each novel, I’ve learned the importance of taking a step back.


It’s like watercolor painting. You have to let each layer dry before you add another layer. And like in painting, you also have to know when to stop. I’m always amazed at the difference between a wet painting and a dry painting. What I thought was awful is not so bad when it’s dry.

Writing is like that too.

Yet with each book I have a different process. Sometimes I’ve written a messy first draft all at once, no stops. Other times, like now, I’m writing and revising and plotting and brainstorming all at once.

Which one is better? I’ll let you know.

For now, for longer works, I generally take at least a month off. Although more time is even better.

For shorter works, I take less time. But it really depends. Short works also tend to get the back burner.

But no matter how much time, the key is not to rush. The more I step back, give it time, and see it as a whole, the better it is.


Other writing news:

If you haven’t had a chance to see it, Amy Tan’s Unintended Memoir, is very inspiring. It’s still on PBS online, but you might have to have a PBS passport to view. Here is the trailer:





Savvy Authors Courses: I recently took my first course with this site.  These are self-paced courses (for a certain length of time, usually 4 weeks). It takes place via discussion board. The teacher posts content and exercises twice a week. It’s really helping me hone in on my WIP. And these classes are very affordable ($30-40). No, I’m not an affiliate or anything. It’s just so hard to find affordable writing classes. Highly recommended!

Last but not least, I have passed the 10,000 word mark on my WIP. It’s been a very long time since I’ve been in the drafting stage on a new novel. I consider the reason I got this far is due to the wonderful Story Genius book and the support of an in-person writing friend, who’s keeping me accountable by meeting me for coffee and the reading of chapters every week.

To learn more about ISWG or to sign up, go to the ISWG website.

What about you? Do you take a certain time away from first drafts?


8 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting 10,000 words down on a new manuscript. I'm a slow writer, so I appreciate what an accomplishment that is. And I like your approach to be flexible in how long to let something sit depending on the project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Jenni, thank you for posting the clip on Amy Tan and her book. I do hope to see it. She is a an awesome writer.

    Wishing you a lovely month of June.

    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete
  3. Painting with watercolors - good comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on hitting the 10,000 words! That's awesome! Great clip on Amy Tan - I love her work. I've got the Passport, so will definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was away from my oldest books for up to a decade, due to them being on obsolete file formats on disks. All that time away really helped me to develop a fresh set of eyes and not be so emotionally close to the original material. Today, I like to wait at least a few months, esp. if it's a doorstopper. I need to develop distance and perspective, and if it's a super-long book, I need time to wind down from that intense experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your watercolor analogy is a great one! I agree that it can different depending on the project or even the topic. Sometimes I've had to pause because I realize that I need to do more research.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on hitting 10K on your new novel. Actually, congrats on starting a new novel! I think that's a great accomplishment. Thanks for the link to the Amy Tan video. I will get to it soon. Glad you found an affordable class too. That's great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on 10K words! Awesome!
    I like the comparison to watercolor painting.
    Story Genius is on my to-buy list... as soon as possible.
    Happy Writing!

    ReplyDelete