Wednesday, July 1, 2026

ISWG: A Wish List for Kindred Spirits

 




When I was growing up, my mom knew I didn’t like jam. But she often hid it in her recipes. But no matter how many times she thought I wouldn’t notice, I could tell.

It reminds me of how, as authors, we need to trust our readers.

We all have a message or a theme we want to impart; the best stories do. But we must be careful, especially with astute readers (and kids are so astute!) that they don’t sniff out the jam (our message) instead of enjoying the fruit.

If I’ve learned anything as a former teacher and homeschooler, kids want two things from their fun reading: to get lost in a book and to laugh. And maybe adults want the same thing too.

Which brings me to what I'd love to see more of in kids' publishing: books that trust young readers enough to simply delight them.

 


If you don’t already know, I am a member of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group, a wonderful community of authors who share monthly about the winding paths of the creative life. It’s a place to be earnest about our hurdles and celebrate our small victories together.

This month’s question: Is there anything you’d like to see changed, added, and/or rearranged about the book publishing industry?

 

Here is my wish list of the books I’d like to see more of:

 

1.     More boy protagonists that boys can relate to. I love seeing boy protagonists that are integral to the story, make mistakes, are impulsive, yet kind, and you want to bring home with you—or that your son, grandson, or nephew would love to be friends with. 

 

Edmund is the kind of well-rounded boy I love!

 

2.     More humor! Although infusing humor into my writing is something I purposely work on, it has gotten easier as I’ve learned to take myself less seriously. And I know that practically every kid I talk to wants books that are funny. 

A very fun series with my favorite animals

3.      Strong family bonds. Most books for kids have dead or absent parents. I’d love to see more books where kids are still solving their own problems, but with a kind parent or adult guiding them. Think of Mr. Penderwick and how he is always in the background, encouraging and giving wisdom to his girls.

 

One of my favorite literary dads!

 

4.      Hopeful endings. Growing up is hard. I will never forget reading A Summer to Die as a child and worrying that something would happen to my sister. I would love to see more books that celebrate the wonder and beauty of childhood instead of loading kids down with worries they are not ready to carry.

 

A book with hard parts, but a very hopeful ending

 

I probably won’t be able to change the industry or the books placed facing out in bookstores. But I can do one small thing: write the books I love and would love to see in libraries or bookstores. Although my boys are too old for middle grade now, I know I’m not the only parent out there who would love to hand her children a book that will make them laugh, inspire them, and bring them joy.

 

photo from Canva

Notes from the Front Porch

Writers: What inspires the books you write?

Readers: What type of books would you like to see more of?

 

  

If you love Anne and tender, heart-filled stories, you’re always welcome here. Never miss out on future posts by following this blog.


*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. It is no cost to you. Thank you for your support!


29 comments:

  1. Life is hard enough. Kids don't need extra burdens from their books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! And just like us, kids read to escape and have fun.

      Delete
  2. I am with you -- especially on the strong families in books. I get that they're harder to write with all the complicated dynamics, but I think if people saw them patterned more often, there might be more focus on the beauty of family, it's importance, it's value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely harder to write, but the books with large families do well (Penderwicks, the Vanderbeekers). Yes, and I love what you said about the beauty of family!

      Delete
  3. Anonynously Esther O'Neill, East of the Sun, might as well decide it's OK to have no phone signal still.. No dead or deliberately absent parents ? Parent mortallity in UK children's classics is worryingly high,, and if allive, deliberate absence, organised via boarding schools and curious employment. Yes, definite need for hopeful endings , parents who like their kids and hopefully, each other too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Ha! It certainly is an epidemic here as well. I get that kids need to solve their own problems in books, but that doesn't mean the parents have to be dead, absent, or neglectful.

      Delete
  4. I love your list and made a note. You're not the only one who would like to see more books like these. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your list of books you want to see more of. They're so you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One thing I'd really like to see are more books for young readers that handle science well. I know Carl Sagan said something about this, and I've heard Bill Nye say something similar: that you don't have to dumb down science for kids. If you explain it well, kids get it.

    I have vague ideas for a middle grade novel about space. If I end up writing it, it'll be important to me to handle the science well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see more science books for middle grade. Both my sons, now in their 20s, are huge science buffs, and it was hard to find books for them when they were younger. One of my favorites from last year in that vein was Time Traveling with a Hamster (not sure if all the science was correct, but it was a fun read).

      Delete
  7. What an excellent post, Jenni! I agree with the books you suggest for Middle Grade. I write adventure short stories. I try to keep them light. They are NOT heavy-handed. And like you said, the child needs to be the hero. And he/she can do it with live parents. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool, Victoria! I love adventure stories, and so do most kids. (Hatchet and My Side of the Mountain were favorites with my sons.) Thank you so much for the encouragement!

      Delete
  8. As kidlit is full of pedagogic writing, "hiding the jam" should be front of mind for creators. I love your wish list and have read most of the titles you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so true! If we focus on telling a good story and entertaining, perhaps it won't be so heavy on the jam.

      Delete
  9. That's a thoughtful list! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes to all of these and especially more wonder and beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved this post, Jenni! I agree with you on everything. I, too, am a former teacher (2nd/3rd grade), and I was constantly on the look for funny and inspiring books for my kiddos. I think every writer needs to write the books they love; if not readers of all ages will detect the jam and not the fruit. Happy summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of my students were at the 2/3 reading level, so yes, it was hard to find books that were interesting that they could also read, like you say. I so agree that we need to write the books we love! Happy summer to you too!

      Delete
  12. The books that inspire me to write are "Do Hard Things" and "Creating an Eternal Story." Also, peculiarly, very poorly written books. I read them and think, "Yikes. Someone ACTUALLY published this. I can do much better. If THIS is published, mine can be too."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read Do Hard Things, but I haven't read Creating an Eternal Story. I will see if I can find it. That's so interesting about poorly written books inspiring you. Yes, sometimes I get inspired by those as well--or intimidated by those books I wish I could write.

      Delete
  13. I thing that is what we all write - the books we can't find but want to read. At least, that was what inspired my to write my first story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! There was one story I wrote because I thought it would fit what an editor/agent wanted, and I absolutely hated it. Now I write what I want to, because at least I'll have fun in the process. And if I like it, someone else will too.

      Delete
  14. What a great wishlist! @samanthabwriter from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
  15. Definitely trying to write books of the sort I love. Agree about the kids' books, too--I do get tired of the "dead parents society" trope.

    ReplyDelete