Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Insecure Writer's Support Group: Goals 2015


 


This isn't really my insecurity, except that I am a bit insecure about making my goals public. Maybe because if I fail, it's out there for all to see. But last year, I made the mistake of making my  2014 goals a little too vague. It was nice in a way, because it made it hard to fail. But as I look at making some goals for 2015, I want to be more specific. I want to know if I actually met my goals by the end of the year.

So, here are some things I plan on focusing on in 2015:

1.       Write something new. I have two manuscripts I’m revising right now, and I think these revisions may take up a big chunk of 2015, but I still want to at least start something new. I have an idea for a book that I’ve wanted to write for a long time. It scares me to death, because it’s far more personal than anything I’ve ever written. I hope to at least start it by the end of 2015. Besides, writing something new is good for the soul.
2.       Be mindful of my commitments. I recently read ESSENTIALISM (Greg McKeown), which is a fantastic book, by the way. My main take away is that I need to be careful not to say yes to activities that take me away from my main goals. Last year I took on a few things that were of marginal importance, but ended up distracting me from my writing. I’m a recovering people-pleaser, so saying “no” can be hard for me, but I’m committed to making it part of my vocabulary.

3.       Write consistently, even during the school year. It’s easy in the summer and winter break to write every day, but very hard when school is in session, because I homeschool and tutor during the school year. I consistently write on the weekends, but it’s hard to fit it in on school days. My new goal: write 3x a week, which I hope will be manageable.

What are you writing goals for 2015?

Intro: I write MG/YA fiction in all genres, from historical to fantasy to mystery or combinations thereof. My nonfiction articles have appeared in Highlights for Children, Calliope, and Learning through History. I love classic novels, vintage clothes, and 40s music. I live with my husband and two sons in Oregon, happily equidistant from Mt. Hood and the beautiful Oregon coast.


If you haven't heard of it, here's a little about The Insecure Writer’s Support Group


 
Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time. Be sure to link to this page and display the badge in your post.

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Our Twitter hashtag is #IWSG

The awesome co-hosts for the January 7 posting of the IWSG will be Elizabeth Seckman, Lisa Buie-Collard, Chrys Fey, andMichelle Wallace!

17 comments:

  1. Here's another member of the people-pleaser club! I totally know what you mean about trying to fit writing in around teaching/tutoring. It really takes it out of you. Regardless, my goal is to write every day, even if it's just a little bit. I've been journaling daily for decades, but fiction is a different beast--so demanding.

    Here's wishing us both an epic writing 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, journaling is a whole different thing from regular writing. Although I find journaling harder to do regularly than fiction writing. I'm not sure why.
      Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  2. Even if it's just a small chunk of writing a day, you should still be able to hit three thousand a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Alex. There's a lot you can accomplish in little bits.

      Delete
  3. My goals are very boring, eat better and exercise. We'll see how that goes. As far as writing goes its one word at a time. :-)

    Here's my link if you'd like to drop by :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are good goals, emaginette! :) I need to do that, especially exercising. One word at a time is the best way to go--it's amazing what you can accomplish with baby steps.

      Delete
  4. I'm on board with your goals!! Can I adopt them too? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your goals - they are more reasonable than some overcheivers out there that make me feel small and useless :) I love 40's music too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Consistency is not just a great goal, but an essential habit to get into. I don't necessarily like to state my goals publicly, but I can go with consistency.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can't go wrong with consistency. Just keep writing...

      Delete
  7. Wonderful goals. You can do it. I'd like to write everyday, but I only do that sometimes during school days. I'm usually beat, but I'd like to carve out that time instead of wait for weekends and holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Medeia! I know what you mean about being tired. I usually feel more energized after writing, it's just the getting started that's hard.

      Delete
  8. Fantastic goals! I need to be more mindful of #2. I like helping out when I can, but sometimes that can cause problems in getting my own goals accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, #2 is so hard. I have a hard time knowing my own limits sometimes.

      Delete
  9. Great goals, and I wish you luck in reaching for them! My main goal is to learn as much about successful marketing as I can assimilate, and to revise my current wip to the point where it's ready to go out to my beta readers, before the end of the summer! Wish me luck! Happy New Year! Sorry I'm behind in getting to my IWSG friends!

    ReplyDelete