Thursday, August 27, 2015

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday: The Year of the Book




Ah, I know a book has a good cover when my kids are pouring over it, asking me, “What is this book about?” All of us had fun picking out the books in the trees on the cover of THE YEAR OF THE BOOK. What have we read, what haven’t we read?
I love it when a book inspires you to read other books. With THE YEAR OF THE BOOK, I loved reading about all my favorites, but also learned about a few more I now have to read: HUSH (Jacqueline Woodson) and MY LOUISIANA SKY (Kimberly Willis Holt).
Here is the synopsis from Amazon:
In Chinese, peng you means friend. But in any language, all Anna knows for certain is that friendship is complicated.
When Anna needs company, she turns to her books. Whether traveling through A Wrinkle in Time, or peering over My Side of the Mountain, books provide what real life cannot—constant companionship and insight into her changing world. Books, however, can’t tell Anna how to find a true friend. She’ll have to discover that on her own. In the tradition of classics like Maud Hart Lovelace’s Betsy-Tacy books and Eleanor Estes’ One Hundred Dresses, this novel subtly explores what it takes to make friends and what it means to be one.
I knew I had to read this when it was compared to Betsy-Tacy and One Hundred Dresses, but I wasn’t prepared for how much I’d love this in other ways.
I loved the cultural component of this book, that Anna is struggling with her Chinese identity.
I loved that books are Anna’s best friends. That’s exactly how I was as a child.
I loved that she learned that sometimes friendship is complicated, and that people aren’t perfect like characters in books. That's something us bookish types do need to learn sometimes.
And the wonderful way Cheng wove in the titles of all these books (including illustrations of their covers by Abigail Halpin) was just lovely.
Have you read any good middle grades lately?



To check out more Marvelous Middle Grade suggestions, check out Always in the Middle.

12 comments:

  1. Books that weave other books inside them are treasures. I'm adding this one to my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Barbara! I love finding treasures too, especially when they are hidden in books. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, this sounds like an absolute must read! I'm with you--books were always my best friends--and now I can't wait to meet this one and invite her over to stay for a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who had books as friends. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. This has a lot of things I love in middle grade: search for identity, questions about friendship, and a love of books. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree--those are the things I look for in a good middle grade too!

      Delete
  4. I hadn't heard of this one, but it sounds great. Perfect for us book lovers. :-) Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you stopped by, Anna! I hope you enjoy this one!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I loved this book! So happy to see you are just as enthusiastic about it as I am. Books that mention other books (like in When You Reach Me, Miranda's favorite book is A Wrinkle in Time) are the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, I loved When You Reach Me, too, for similar reasons. I'm glad you're a fan of The Year of the Book too!

      Delete
  6. This sounds like a wonderful book. Adding it to my to-read list right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by, Jennifer! Hope you enjoy this lovely book!

    ReplyDelete