Monday, July 19, 2021

#IMWAYR/MMGM: Secret Sisters of the Salty Sea and The Explorer

It’s been a little while since I’ve made it to my computer to write up a middle grade review. We’ve had the usual end-of-the-school year busy-ness, and last week we went to visit some friends in Eastern Oregon.  Along the way, we stopped to see the beautiful Painted Hills (one of the seven wonders of Oregon!) and dug for fossils. Summer must include a few adventures!

The famous red hill from the Painted Hills.


Today, I wanted to share two summer reads with you. I read them awhile back, but they stayed with me. They both have adventures, perfect for summer. 

Synopsis for Secret Sisters of the Salty Sea by Lynne Rae Perkins (synopsis from the author’s website):

Alix and Jools are off on a family vacation. It’s their first vacation ever that isn’t about visiting relatives. And even though it’s also going to be the first time they see the ocean, in real life, Alix is pretty sure she knows what it will be like.

But of all the things that happen, not a single one is something she expected. Because you just never know what amazing thing will happen next.

I was a little unsure of this book at first because I wasn’t a huge fan of Perkin's Criss Cross, but I’m so glad I picked this one up. So many middle grades deal with things that couldn’t happen in real life, but this is a sweet read about the ordinary adventures of a family on vacation.

When my kids were younger, I often worried they were bored because we “only” went to the beach for vacation most summers and never anywhere exotic. This book is a good reminder that adventures can be had anywhere if you look for them.

Favorite quote: “They would do this for a week, then come back home and remember it forever.”

The Explorer by Kathleen Rundell (synopsis from Amazon):

From Boston Globe–Horn Book Award winner Katherine Rundell comes an exciting new novel about a group of kids who must survive in the Amazon after their plane crashes.

Fred, Con, Lila, and Max are on their way back to England from Manaus when the plane they’re on crashes and the pilot dies upon landing. For days they survive alone, until Fred finds a map that leads them to a ruined city, and to a secret.


I picked this up because I have loved almost everything by this author, especially Cartwheeling in Thunderstorms and The Roofkeepers. The Explorer reminded me a little of Hatchet, but with a larger cast and an Amazon setting, including sloths and tarantulas. But what I liked best the theme of what makes someone an explorer. (It's not what you think.) This book would be perfect for animal lovers and kids who are interested in the Amazon rainforest.

What books have you loved lately?

 If you'd like to read more middle grade reviews or join in the MMGM fun, go to Greg Pattridge's Always in the Middle blog. 



9 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good trip. And I didn't like Criss Cross either, so good to know that her new one is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always being asked for good books to read in the summer so thanks for featuring these two on Marvelous Middle Grade Monday. I've added them both to my future read list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same feeling about Criss Cross but this summer vacation book seems more like my kind of thing. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you had a nice trip, and I appreciate you sharing that photo! Both of these books sound excellent—I like the message in Secret Sisters of the Salty Sea about finding adventures wherever you are, and Katherine Rundell's books get great reviews, so I'll keep The Explorer in mind. Thanks so much for the great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Summer vacation and a survival book. The first one sounds fun, but I'm bettering that I'd really love The Explorer. Both reviews well written and tug at me. Will check my library. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also really loved The Explorer, had it in our Battle of the Books two years ago. I blogged about Cartwheeling... a few weeks ago as a student in my five/six class and I were sharing her books and I hadn't read that one. I traded her The Wolf Wilder for it. Such a great writer. We also read The Good Thieves this year, although The Explorer add Wolf Wilder were my faves (Rooftoppers is close though, for me). Thanks for sharing, have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boy, these both sound great. And they are so different. I am putting these both on my TBR list. Thanks for telling me about them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know the author of The Explorer and if you love everything by her, I am obviously missing out! Thank you for sharing it! The other book sounds good also :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of the best decision i ever made was contacting Dr Otonokpo to help me get my lover back, I was life filled with happiness after i contacted Dr Otonokpo because he didn't just bring my lover back to me he also made our love for each other more unique and superb. If you need to spice your relationship with more love and attention contact Dr Otonokpo on his Email Address otonokpotemple@gmail.com, call/whatsapp him via his contact +2348114129781 and be happy just like i am, thanks Dr Otonokpo for your great work.

    ReplyDelete