Wednesday, February 2, 2022

IWSG: Slow Writers Unite!

 

https://unsplash.com/photos/FTKfX3xZIcc?utm_source=unsplash&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=creditShareLink

There's the slow food movement.

And a slow parenting movement, which I've been following without knowing it. 

And although I found some posts about Slow Writing Movements, most seemed to be geared towards literary fiction writers, which I am not.

But what if we started our own movement? A movement where it was okay not to be the fastest writer in the room.

Slow writing would be a place where...

It’s okay not to fast draft or do NaNoWrMo.  

Daily tallies of word counts doesn't make you a better writer.

Some days you might write a lot, others a little. It’s all adds up.

Quality over quantity.

It’s okay to stop mid-draft to look up the right phrase or research your setting—your writing will be richer for it.

This is not a race. If you write faster than others, you will not sell your book faster or gain more readers.

Take time to smell the roses, to live life, because fiction is made of life.

Make sure to take time away from writing—fresh eyes make the best editors.

Or if you want to make your first draft take even longer, just say yes to more backstory, maps, world building, and character charts. 😀

Will you join me?

I didn't do this month's question. I thankfully have not lost any of my writing heroes yet. And I didn't want to do a sad post. If you'd like to read more ISWG posts or sign up, please go HERE. You won't be disappointed.   



 

16 comments:

  1. I'm uniting with you as a slow writer. You're so right that it's not a race, and quality is important. It's also important to embrace being a slow writer if that's what you are. I've found I do produce pages by steady, slow progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like what you said about steady, slow progress. It does add up, doesn't it?

      Delete
  2. I'm thinking of the Paul Simon song:
    "Slow down, you're moving too fast.
    You've got to make the moment last..."
    I'm not a fast drafter, but not a slow one, either. What I am is a slow reader. I noticed that when discussing books with others, I'm the one who remembers the details. Slow pokes have something to recommend them, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Paul Simon! I'm not a slow reader or at least I'm not when my life isn't crazy busy. I think I could definitely slow down there and enjoy the details more.

      Delete
  3. Hi,
    I am a slow writer. I take my time and that's the way I like it. I admire those who can write three or six books within a year but it would tear me into thread. However, I do have manuscript that I start on and then lay them aside. I might write the first draft and pick it up again three years later and start revising.
    Wishing you all the best.

    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't write 3-6 books a year. Yikes! Usually it takes two years or more to write one book. :)

      Delete
  4. Slow writers unite!! LOL

    Of course, it's all relative. When I was on a retreat with a bunch of literary writers, they kept commenting on how fast I write. But compared to most of the other romance authors I know, I am VERY slow. Honestly, it's frustrating. But... what can you do? I can't write FASTER -- not well, at any rate. So I guess I'll just keep plodding along. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, Marie. It does seem like genre writers do write faster. I guess we need to stop comparing...easier said than done.

      Delete
  5. Fast or slow? It depends on the story. Some gush out. Others take years to become cohesive. I believe everything happens at the right time. I also thoroughly enjoyed The Art of Slow Writing: Reflections on Time, Craft and Creativity by Louise DeSalvo. It was like being with a good and wise writing friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that sounds like a good book, Vijaya! Will check that out.

      Delete
  6. I'm a slow writer too. I'd join your Slow Writing Movement. I don't write literary - I write sci-fi and fantasy. But yeah, I write slowly. :( Maybe it is not a flaw but a feature. Right?

    ReplyDelete