Wednesday, September 7, 2022

#ISWG: What Would You Never Not Ever Write?


September 7 question - What genre would be the worst one for you to tackle and why?


At the beginning of my first writing class, the wonderful Meg Jensen asked, “What kind of books do you like to read?”

I thought it was a bit of an off-topic question. Most people shared a genre that they liked: romance, sci-fi, mystery.

I, a former English lit major, answered in my hoity-toity voice, “I like the classics.”

“Well, that encompasses a lot of genres,” Meg said. “What kind of books do you really like?”

I couldn’t give her a clear answer.

Later she explained that she asked that question because we tend to know the genre we read the best. It tends to be the genre we write.

What did that say about me? It’s not like I’m Dickens.

I’ve thought about that question over the years and realized something. The reason I couldn’t answer is because I’m an eclectic reader. I read a lot of things, and not surprisingly, write in a lot of different genres.

This fits my personality. I get bored easily and always like trying new things.

This month’s question was hard to answer. What genre would be the worst one for me? I’m not sure. I’ve tried almost all of them, but I have to say, the one I least enjoyed was dystopian.

I’ve never written a straight sci fi, though, and due to my lack of interest in outer space, maybe that’s another contender.

Dystopian was just too depressing for me. It made me live in “worse case scenario” land. And after that experience, I decided something. I want to write books that give people hope. Not that dystopian cannot give people hope. It should, and often it does.

Wading through the darkness in the middle was just too much for me.

Is there a genre you would never write?

 

If you'd like to read more ISWG posts or sign up, please go HERE. You won't be disappointed.

7 comments:

  1. There are a few genres I don't read and would never write: especially horror and thrillers. Both of them generate fear. Or at least are supposed to generate fear, which is my main objection to them. I would include dystopia in the same category.
    But I also dislike reading YA and can't write for that audience. Even my stories about teenage protagonists tend to target the adult readers. I guess the ever-present teenage angst is just not for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I think YA is hard to get right. When I have tried to write YA it's not very angsty. I guess because I wasn't that type of teenager. :)

      Delete
  2. But outer space is cool!
    I don't like dystopians. Too depressing. I don't like swelling on worst-case scenarios.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Outer space is cool when other people write it. Just not me, I suppose.

      Delete
  3. To be honest, I find dystopians to be among the most optimistic of genres. Yes, yes the world has fallen apart, and there are monsters and monstrous people everywhere, but that's just the background. The story itself is usually (not always, but usually) about the better parts of human nature surviving in the worst of conditions. It's like turning off all the lights so you can see the flame of a single candle.

    Or some such nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Leod, it's often about rising above the worst-case scenario stacked up against you. But I also get Alex's perspective about how it can get depressing especially when we are living a tumultuous reality today.

    ReplyDelete