Monday, September 28, 2026

MMGM: The Click of the Keys: Inside the World of Anna Rose Johnson


 

 


When my boys were young, it was always a challenge to find mysteries that were not too scary and had enough of a puzzle to hold their interest. Although they are well beyond middle grade now, Secrets at Sparhawk Point would have been an ideal read. There is an interesting mystery. Is the monster in the lake real or a prank, and if so, who is perpetuating it? But there is nothing creepy or scary, and like in all of Anna Rose Johnson's books, there are strong themes of family, faith, and heritage.

If you love mysteries with a strong character arc and the feel of a Nancy Drew or Hardy Boys, you will love Secrets of Sparhawk Point.

I was so excited that Anna Rose Johnson was willing to answer a few questions about this beautiful story.

 

Portrait provided by Anna Rose Johnson

  

A Little About the Story

A group of Swedish and Ojibwe children invent a local lake monster based on the Ojibwe storm-monster legend of Mishipeshu to draw tourists and save their families' homes and livelihoods. (from the School Library Journal)

A Conversation with Anna

1. What was the first spark that grew into the world of Secrets at Sparhawk Point? Did it start with a character, a setting, or a feeling you wanted to capture? The first idea for this story came about when I read a book about Whitefish Point, the small Lake Superior town where my grandmother grew up. I wanted to learn about what her childhood had been like, and the more I read, the more I realized I wanted to set a book in a place like Whitefish Point—and thus, Sparhawk Point was born!

2. I love that your grandmother's town inspired this story! I read in your author’s note that you typed the first draft on a 1959 Royal typewriter. How did using an artifact from the past in your drafting help your story come together? Using my typewriter for this story gave me such awesome vintage vibes! It almost helped cement the idea of the Ahlstrom sisters’ aunt being a newspaperwoman and using a typewriter for her work. I truly think that typing my story on a vintage typewriter helped me to bring some of that 1940s flavor to life.

 

Anna's 1959 typewriter

 

3. There's something about using a tool from that time period that makes it come alive. When you were writing, did you imagine a specific reader sitting down with this story? What do you want readers to come away with when they read your work? I don’t know that I imagined a specific reader, except possibly myself as a tween. I knew that this was the kind of story I would have loved at that age, and that helped me shape what I wanted it to be. I’d love for readers to come away from this story with a new appreciation for how the small things in life can be more meaningful than we realize.

4. That's lovely. This was also the kind of book I loved as a child, full of mystery and heart. All of your books weave your Ojibwe heritage and Christian faith in a seamless way without overwhelming the story. How are your books a mirror—or a window—in another world or time for modern kids? I hope that including those elements in my stories can help young readers relate to the characters even more! It’s very special to me when readers are excited to discover the Ojibwe representation, and when they talk about how they appreciate the elements of faith that I include.

5. That's so wonderful that you've gotten such encouraging feedback from readers! You quote Montgomery in your epigraph, and parts of the story made me think of Anne’s experiences in the Haunted Wood. In what ways has Montgomery influenced your work? L.M. Montgomery has definitely influenced my work! I think that her stories inspired me to create the most memorable characters that I can, to imbue my stories with descriptions of nature, and to makes sure that I give my characters plenty of imagination. 😊

Yes, she is such a master at description and characters! Thanks so much for joining us today.

 

Reading guide

Secrets at Sparkhawk Point would be perfect for independent readers reading at a 3rd grade level or above, or as a read-aloud for younger readers. Mild suspense. This would be a perfect jumping-off point for studying Lake Superior,  Ojibwe folklore, newspapers in the 1940s, cryptoids, and the homefront during World War 2.


Max, the Reading Dog

 



 

Max’s Question:

What books does your pet recommend? I'm always looking for books with animals.

--Max  


Ellie May 

My Russell Terrier puppy, Ellie May, would definitely recommend Bad Badger by Maryrose Wood! It’s a very sweet friendship story starring a badger and a seagull.

 

 


Notes from the Front Porch:

What mysteries or historicals have you been enjoying lately?

 

Check out other fabulous middle grades at Always in the Middle!  

  

Tea and Tails

Let’s stay in touch.

If you enjoy our bookish chats, I’d love to have you join me for Tea and Tails, a monthly letter from my reading nook filled with bookish heart and quiet courage.


No comments:

Post a Comment