Wednesday, March 4, 2020

ISWG: Waffles or Pancakes?


Continuing the Saturday breakfast tradition

My memories of my dad are surrounded with food. There was the can of smoked oysters he brought home from work that I would only try, the failed attempt at homemade peach beer (that I was too young to try), the homemade ice cream on my birthday, the parade of grilled food every summer.

But the thing I remember the most is the Saturday question.

"What do you want for breakfast?" asked a very sweaty Dad after he came back from his run.

My sister and I knew that there was really only two answers: crunchy (nutty) waffles or Papa's Pancake, a German-style puffed pancake, my dad's specialty. Both required melted butter and maple syrup.

Now, if I write a story with a father (I've had a few plots where the dad is missing), he's always a breakfast-making father. He wears his pajamas with blue jeans and shows his love through food.

Have you ever included a personal or family tradition/custom in your writing?

To learn more about Insecure Writer's Support Group or to join the link up, visit ISWG's website.


22 comments:

  1. It's amazing how often one's family memories related to food. In my case, all too often it's food I can no longer eat since I have T2 diabetes. But food memories can be so strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nissa, I don't have diabetes, but I do have food allergies that developed as adult. So, like you, I have some foods that I can't eat any more that I hanker for. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. That's so cool that you have memories with food associated with your dad. Mine was not a cook at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie, I'm sure there are other special things that you have with your Dad. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Lovely! My dad was a pancake guy. Also, after grocery shopping on Saturdays we'd have root beer floats and sardines on toast! Yay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, that's so cool that you have your own Dad foods. Dad's are good for getting us out of our comfort zone with food. :)

      Delete
  4. Our dad would make porridge or pancakes Saturday mornings. Years later I felt bad that those mornings were so special, and yet Mum made breakfast every other morning. She was probably used to not being appreciated. Darn. Wish I'd realized that before she was gone. Thanks, Jenni. I needed to see this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the great moment, Joylene! We do take so much for granted when we're kids, don't we?

      Delete
  5. Food always conjures up fond memories. And I'll take waffles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dad is like my husband--love those breakfast making men! My stories are filled with food--how can they not when I write family dramas. One of my friends told me she had cravings for Indian food while reading Bound and her local restaurant got much of that business :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One more reason to check out your book! I love books where food plays a big part--and Indian food--yum! :)

      Delete
  7. People I know are in all my stories, but often not identifiable because their relation to the main character is a (very) different from the biographical one. Even animal characters are people I've known ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's possible to create something out of thin air. It's always based on someone or something. I like that you have hidden them by making their relationships slightly different!

      Delete
  8. My dad always made delicious breakfasts too. But now my tastes have evolved and I try to avoid sweet things for breakfast. Luckily I married someone who understands my issue and makes me things like avocado taste served with a bright tasting salad for breakfast. So grateful to have had so many wonderful male cooks in my life!

    With Love,
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  9. This had so much depth and personality. I think I love this dad. <3 Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Food is a big part of our family customs and traditions, too. My dad made muffins and waffles. Those were his two specialties.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I miss my dad. He'd make odd things that sound awful but always ended up being delicious- one of my favorites was fried potatoes and onions and eggs.

    ReplyDelete