Wednesday, April 1, 2020

ISWG: Writing and Adversity

The Opposite of Fate by Amy Tan is one of my favorite books about writing. Tan's story about finding CliffsNotes about Joy Luck Club is hilarious! Most of the book, however, is about being a daughter of an overbearing, critical mother. What I found most interesting is how her adversity shaped her. She says that if she’d had a more “normal” mother, one who was encouraging, she might’ve been a doctor instead of being a writer. Her experience of feeling like an outsider was good training for writing. It taught her to observe.

Sometimes we tend to think that life gets in the way of our writing. While I’ve enjoyed a lot of posts lately on “how to write through difficult times,” I think ultimately it doesn’t matter whether you keep writing during difficult times or wait till life settles down. It matters how you use that pain.

I’ve had my share of difficult times, some of which I’ve written through, some of which I didn’t, and some too personal to share. 


But all those difficulties shaped me. They’ve caused me to feel like outsider at times. They’ve caused me to understand pain and the human condition. They’ve given me empathy, an important trait for a writer.  I know adversity has given my writing—and my life--depth.



Writing is life. Life is writing. You can’t separate the two, and even if you’re not writing right now, you are still storing up material for later. Darci Pattison uses Frederick in Leo Lionni's picture book as an example of this in "For the slow times of writing." While all the rest of the mice are storing up seeds for winter, Frederick seems to be doing nothing. But when winter comes, he entertains them with poetry. Maybe like Frederick, you are storing up life to create poetry later.

How are you managing during Covid-19? Are you writing or taking a break?


My update on this month's question:

Covid-19 isn’t affecting that severely. My husband and I already work from home, and our children attend an online school. We do miss seeing our friends and being able to attend church and other activities (and toilet paper in the grocery store!) My heart and prayers go out to those of you who are harder hit.

To learn more about Insecure Writer's Support Group

10 comments:

  1. Glad you are staying healthy and safe with your family. I can relate to a lot of what you're saying about difficult times in life and how you sometimes feel like an outsider. I hope that I'm becoming a more empathetic person as I work through those kind of feelings and challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How you use the pain - well said.
    Continue to stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a beautiful post. Thank you. I love Frederick!<3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great points here. I so want to be productive during this time, to make the most of it. But I've always needed structure to really get things done, and unfortunately, self-imposed structure just isn't the same. Still, I plug along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said, Jenni. I also have difficulty sharing. I didn't write about the virus this month; I took advantage of Jemi's release to concentrate on her instead. I'll figure out how I feel about C-19 later. Glad you're okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There a saying that there are no GREAT writers who've had perfectly happy childhoods. As good stories are about overcoming challenges, such does provide creative material.
    But for the current days I don't think the issue is wring despite adversity. At least for me, it's FOCUSING under existential stress. A time will come for reflection, but that time is LATER. There will be great stories then.
    Stay well, you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the Opposite of Fate!!! Amy Tan is one of my favorite writers. I'm glad to know you and yours are well, carrying on. But you can't put a price on the intangibles--missing Mass has been the hardest for me. I'm writing because I can't not write--it's how I process everything in this life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart goes out too. A great post. Thanks for sharing Amy Tan with us and glad you and yours are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Opposite of Fate is one of my favourite books. I mistakenly gave it away when I moved. Think I'll rebuy it. It's truly inspirational.

    I recognize Frederick's face from a series of U.S. stamps that featured picture books back in 2006. Frederick graced the envelope of a snail mail rejection from an agent, making the sting a little less painful. Poetry-writing Frederick seems to be my soulmate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this: Writing is life. Life is writing. You can’t separate the two, and even if you’re not writing right now, you are still storing up material for later.

    ReplyDelete