Wednesday, June 3, 2020

ISWG: Art v. Craft



At the first writing conference I attended, one of the editors said something that has stuck with me: “Master the craft, and the art will come.” (This is a loose paraphrase.)

And I tend to agree. I have been working very hard on that craft. Writing. Having my work critiqued. Reading craft books. Attending conferences.

But recently I got one of my short stories published in a local anthology as a winner of a local contest. This contest is only open to residents of my county, and the whole purpose is to encourage writers, who often work in isolation.

Of course, it’s always a boost to see your work in print and to think the hard work of learning the craft is paying off.

But I learned the most from reading other people’s stories and poems.

What struck me is these stories were written out of people’s experiences with a lot of skill, but they were not written to sell many copies or appeal to a wide audience.

Some of the stories talk about sad experiences, weird happenings, or just reflect ordinary life. Half the stories and poems are written by children and teens.

As Picasso said, “Every child is an artist, the problem is to remain an artist once we grow up.”

What I see at most writing events and conferences is a huge emphasis on getting an editor's or agent's attention. (Or in self-publishing, how to make a lot of sales.) But when we focus too much on pleasing other people, we forget to see writing as an art,  an expression, as part of who we are.

My county’s art association also sponsors a writing festival, which is not a conference in the usual sense. Yes, there are workshops by writers on improving the craft, but there are also readings by local artists, and no agents or editors are in attendance. Although there is a place for the regular type of conference, going to this agent-less festival feels like going on a retreat. I get to focus on why I’m writing in the first place, without worrying if “I’m good enough.”

I just get encouraged to “make great art.”




How do you get rejuvenated as a writer? How do you balance the tension of art v. craft?

Sorry I didn't answer the question this month! I don't have any big secrets to reveal. :)

To sign up for Insecure Writer's Support Group, go HERE.



11 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Your article is great. I agree with much of what you're saying. In response to rejuvenation, I read, or listen to music, or knit, or play my piano.
    Wishing you all the best and thanks for being a part of IWSG.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I haven't gone to a writing conference for years, but my focus was too much on what an editor said who I paid to give me a critique. They are really only one person and so many give opposite opinions. I realize now it's better to focus on connecting with writing and learning at these events. Congrats on your publication!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think when we lose that part about creating art, we start to lose some passion for it as well.
    Congratulations on the anthology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the win!

    One of the things I love about writing is that we can always learn and grow, and we can always challenge ourselves to get better at our craft.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to you, Jenni. It's always nice to see our names in print. Good for you for focusing on learning your craft and working at it. That is what we should all be doing. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your anthology acceptance! Woot! That's awesome. Seeing our names in print is pretty cool. And Picasso . . . #truth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your story's win. That's lovely.
    Even when not writing to "sell," it's good to get this sort of recognition. The kind that says, "you reached me."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't want to read books which were written to make money – I want ones where the author had a story they needed to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those quotes Jenni. And CONGRATULATIONS!!! My favorite way to rejuvenate is to read good books, of which there's no shortage of, and also write for the sheer love of it, without thinking about the market.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your win! I think writing the story in first draft is the art form and the revision process reminds me there's an audience and I keep them in mind as I write. So I guess with that there's a balance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for co-hosting. That is a great way to look at it. I usually have to remember that I write because I love to, not for anyone else.

    ReplyDelete