Monday, May 25, 2020

MMGM: The Hippo at the End of the Hall



I picked up this book when our library was still open. I was immediately taken with the illustration and knew from the description that it would appeal to my animal-loving 15 year old. I was right. He loved it, especially the talking animals.

It took me awhile to get to it myself. First, I had to read through my whole TBR list. (One good benefit of the libraries being closed is that I can’t keep checking out more and more books.)

I loved it. It’s been compared to Edith Nesbit, and the description is apt. This is good, old-fashioned British fantasy with a modern twist.

The invitation was delivered by bees. It wasn’t addressed to anyone at all, but Ben knew it was for him. It would lead him to an old, shambolic museum, full of strange and bewitching creatures. A peculiar world of hidden mysteries and curious family secrets . . . and some really dangerous magic.

Filled with her own wonderful illustrations, The Hippo at the End of the Hall is Helen Cooper's debut novel. (from Amazon)


What I loved:

1. Illustrations: The illustrations by the author-illustrator added a lot of whimsy and fun to the story. Who can be scared of a witch when she’s so tiny? The illustrations of the animals and their expressions made this story come to life.

2. Talking animals with distinct personalities: Usually I’m not a fan of talking animals, but these animals had personality and drive and agency of their own. This is how talking animals should be done.

3. An involved parent: So many children's books make parents the enemy. I loved how this mom was involved in this story (even in the climax!) in a way that was realistic, yet did not take away from the main character’s ability to solve his own problems.

4. Layers of mystery: I loved how the book started with a strange invitation, which led Ben to find a very unusual museum, which led to…There’s a lot of layers to peel back in the story, which kept me engaged as a reader.

5. Whimsical/lyrical writing: The metaphors and images in this are so kid-lit and unique. It’s always nice to see an author who can straddle unique metaphors without lapsing into purple prose. I also loved the little details that reminded us this story is written by a British author and set in England.

Have you read The Hippo at the End of the Hall? What books or movies do you think do talking animals well?


To participate in MMGM or find more MG reviews, please check out Greg Pattridge's blog, Always in the Middle.

11 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great book! I agree, it's so nice to see good parents in an MG story. I haven't read many books with talking animals—the main characters in The One and Only Ivan are animals, but they don't speak out loud in the story (they are great characters, though!). There is an entertaining talking cat named Fenestra in the Nevermoor series by Jessica Townsend. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't even heard of this. But yes, I love it when a parent can be incorporated into the adventure. I've told mu daughter multiple times to tell me if she finds a way into a magical world. Because I just might want to go too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh. This sounds so fun. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just asked my library to order the book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book and author is new to me. But, what a great mystery! I like your comment about peeling back the layers. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great find. Thank you. I will have to look for it when our libraries open. I do so adore talking animal stories and that it's illustrated too. Like you, I'm actually making some progress on my piles of books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one does sound like a good one and to be compared to Edith Nesbit is no small feat. In fact, I was just looking at The Enchanted Castle in my bookshelf yesterday wondering if I should re-read it. But, for this one I especially like the unique title and cover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the title and I think I'd also like the story. I've always had a soft spot for Homeword Bound: The incredible Journey as a great talking animal movie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm taken with your enthusiastic endorsement that, despite my aversion to talking animal stories makes me want to check this out. Especially in a novel, talking animals must have great things to say for me to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of this one, but it sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That cover! There is no way I could walk past this book without picking it up. You make it sound very tempting. Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete