Monday, June 15, 2020

MMGM: Jonathan Auxier



I first heard about Auxier in a MMGM blog post a few years ago when someone was praising The Night Gardener. Although it sounded intriguing, I thought it might be too dark for my tastes, so I stayed away.

Last summer, one of my friends recommended Auxier as an author her kids like. (And she is the last person to recommend scary books.) So, I checked out everything by him from our library and thought I’d finally give his books a try.

My younger son devoured Peter Nimble, Sophie Quire, The Night Gardener and Sweep in days.

I am a bit slower of a reader than him, so I only got through Peter Nimble, The Night Gardener, and Sweep.

But I loved these books and am so excited to find a new favorite author. And as far as being scary—yes, these books have some scary parts, but the good part is that evil is always vanquished by fantastically wonderful protagonists.

Auxier writes books that are everything a middle grade book should be: full of adventure, nods to classic literature, well-rounded characters, high stakes, lyrical language, and meditations on the meaning of life and death.

There is much to love for kids and grownups alike.

Here are my individual reviews:

Sweep is probably my favorite, although it’s tied with The Night Gardener. I loved the Victorian English/Dickens-esque setting, which reminded me of Oliver Twist. It was easy to root for the main character, Nan, a chimney sweep, and her Golem, Charlie, who is anything but scary. I also loved what this said about love and loss, and how those we love remain a part of us even after they are gone.

The Night Gardener reminded me of Something Wicked this Way Comes by Ray Bradbury with a Victorian twist. Molly and Kip, brother and sister, had incredible gumption and drive, and the mystery had many layers, always keeping you at the edge of your seat. The message of this book about the power of stories was very satisfying.

Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes: The world building is fantastic, and I loved all the layers of mystery. And then there's the knight who's been turned into a cat! The violence was more intense in this one, and the climax didn’t have the same resonance as his other books. But I’d still recommend this for kids (or adults) who like fantasy and adventure.

Have you read any books by Johnathan Auxier? Which one is your favorite?


*As we just finished the school year around here and my older son graduated from high school, I will be taking a break next week from blogging to spend some time with my family and celebrate my birthday. I will be back the first week of July to co-host the July ISWG!

29 comments:

  1. Yes! I love Auxier's books, too, and was so excited to discover them. He's still new to me, so I've only read SWEEP and THE NIGHT GARDENER--oh, and a little early reader book that will be published later this year, called "Willa the Wisp."
    Congratulations to your son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up on Willa the Wisp! That sounds adorable. Glad to meet another Auxier fan. :)

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your son's graduation. That's awesome that your son and you read this series today. Peter Nimble sounds really good. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to your son.
    Evil always loses - good! That's the way a story should end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure I've given some or all of those books to my niece and nephew. :)

    Yeh for your son and happy birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Madeline! I bet your niece and nephew loved them too!

      Delete
  5. I haven't read any books by Auxier, but these books sound excellent! Thanks for the great reviews, and congratulations on your son's graduation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only read THE NIGHT GARDENER and enjoyed it immensely. I will be adding these other titles to my future read list. Congrats to your 2020 graduate. Quite the accomplishment, especially this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you liked The Night Gardener, I think you will love these other ones, Greg! And thank you! It sure has been a different sort of graduation than we expected--but still a celebration nonetheless.

      Delete
  7. No, I am not familiar with Johnathan Auxier. But all of his books sound intriguing. I don't like scary, but it sounds like there is so much more to these stories. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would like these, Patricia! They are not keep-you-up-at-night scary, they just have some pretty fearsome antagonists. I'm certainly glad I took the plunge.

      Delete
  8. I have not heard of this author prior to reading your wonderful post. I must say I really like the cover art for the books. Congrats to your son on reaching one of life's most memorable milestones. Enjoy your time away from the blog . . . Thanks for posting about this author and his books for MMGM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for your warm wishes, June! I agree that the cover art is so fantastic. It really adds to the mood of these books. Enjoy!

      Delete
  9. Haha! I do the same--check out all that's available when I fall in love with an author. He's on my list and our library is finally open. And lol about our kids reading faster than us--it's because we are moms and don't spend all our free time reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! So true. I miss those days when all I had to do was read...and write.
      Glad to hear I'm not the only one who goes on reading jags--I hope you enjoy these, V!

      Delete
  10. Wonderful post, Jenni. These are exactly the sort of book that promote reading. (My post today, which is why it's on my mind)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mirka. Great minds think alike. :) We do need more books that are all about a good story.

      Delete
  11. Interesting author, it seems. I'll be sure to check him out. I love the Edward Gorey style cover illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Sarah! Yes, the illustrations add so much. Hope you enjoy these!

      Delete
  12. Oh, these sound good! Thanks for the recommendations, Jenni.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to your son on graduating and a happy birthday to you. I have not read any of these books, but I am putting them on my list. I love the covers of The Night Gardner and Peter Nimble. Yes, I will be looking for these. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read PETER NIMBLE years ago, but I don't remember it very well. I haven't tried any of his other books, but you make them sound very appealing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you liked Peter Nimble, you will love the other ones too!

      Delete
  15. I loved Sweep. Don't think I've read the others. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete