Wednesday, August 5, 2020

ISWG: The Form Finds You



When I started writing seriously, I had one goal in mind: to write a novel and get it published. Many, many years later, that still hasn’t happened, but I continue to write and work on my craft. The interesting thing to me is lately, I’ve been drawn to shorter forms rather than the novel.

It used to be I would set out to write a short story—and then, boom, realize that it was the first chapter of a novel. That has happened to me many times.

However, it rarely happened the other way around.

But right now, and this might just be because I have a job that takes up a lot of my brain space, that I am more drawn to shorter pieces. I’ve written a few short stories over the last year (one was published this spring!) that will never be novels. I really like being able to have the whole scope of my story within a few pages—so much easier to revise!

I feel antsy now when faced with behemoth of my MG novel, an ongoing revision-in-process.

I wonder if either I’ve changed or my writing has changed. (I guess that’s the same thing).

But when I finish this current revision-in-process, I’m not sure what I’ll work on next. Maybe a novel. Maybe not. Maybe I’ll let myself play in the paints for awhile and just do writing prompts for awhile. Funny that. I used to hate prompts too.

But a novel takes a huge chunk of my brain to maintain, and I’m not sure I can do that and balance that with my family and the job I love.

So, yes, I’ve written many things I never planned on.

Isn’t that how writing is?

You can make your graphs and charts, but it’s the moment when a character does something totally unexpected that sparks joy for me.

How about you? Do you always stick to the form you planned or does the form find you?

What is Insecure Writer's Support Group?

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time - and return comments. This group is all about connecting!




The awesome co-hosts for the August 5 posting of the IWSG are Susan Baury Rouchard, Nancy Gideon, Jennifer Lane, Jennifer Hawes, Chemist Ken, and Chrys Fey! 


To read more Insecure Writer's Support Group posts or to sign up, please got to the Insecure Writer's Support Group website.









13 comments:

  1. I think it's great that writing short stories is a good fit for you right now. It's hard to have enough time to write to finish a novel when you're working and have a family. When the time's right, you'll figure out a way to do that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our writing changes and evolves over time. Just continue writing short until you feel compelled to return to that novel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your publication this Spring!!! I began trying my hand at novel writing and somewhere along the way I wrote two short YA stories that ended up being published in YA anthologies. I learned so much from writing both those short stories. I truly believe those experiences helped me write both my novels that are now traditionally published. Keep at it! All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always assumed I'd be writing a full novel, even though back at the beginning I thought writing something that went on for over three hundred pages was not a thing mere mortals could do. But slowly and steadily the word count climbed and I eventually hit my target. I can scarcely imagine doing it all over again.

    Congrats on the short story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never planned to write for adults, and haven't (other than my blog) but I did set out to write chapter books, everyone of which invariably became a MG

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on having our story published. That is exciting. I write short stories now and then. It is nice to have a compact piece to work on. That said, I love working on a novel -- a big, sprawling novel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Surprise is half the fun in writing, isn't it? @samanthabwriter from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love working on shorts--and yes, many shorts are beginnings of novels (that's what my first writing teacher said) but I avoided them like the plague because like you say, they consume so much more brain space. But it's also wonderful to give in to that compulsion because some stories demand it. I'm trying to get back into novel mode because the family is on vacation but it's happening very slowly. It's so great to work on what you're compelled to work on. It's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the form and the writer sort-of gravitate towards each other. In the beginning of my writing path, I was sure I couldn't write short. Then I discovered the writing prompt blog hop WEP, which goes every second month of the year, and I've been writing flash fiction for it for 4 years without a break. And it's exciting. Obviously, I can write short.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on having your story published. In spite of writing about this - the form finds you or you choose the form question, I still don't have a definite opinion. That's because it varies, doesn't it? Happy IWSG day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was really interesting to read, Jenni. I've never been drawn to short stories but I can see how it would happen. Makes me wonder...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've learned to be open to whatever form my writing wants to take.
    I've done journalism, poetry, humour, drama criticism, movie reviews, short stories, middle grade novels, and a form of script writing that no longer exists

    ReplyDelete
  13. I teach short story writing (kidlit) and having my students' work to comment on has been so great for me during this weird time as I'm querying agents on a novel.

    ReplyDelete