Monday, August 17, 2020

MMGM: A Slip of a Girl


I picked this book up from the library’s new reads shelf for one reason: the author. I have enjoyed everything I’ve read by Patricia Giff, especially Lily’s Crossing, one of my favorite MG historicals of all time. 

I usually prefer traditional novels over novels-in-verse, maybe because I like to really get immersed in what I read. But in this case,  the sparse poetry really added to the emotional resonance of this book.  And how can you not think of the Irish without thinking of music and poetry?

Like me, you’ll find yourself rooting for this girl who’s trying to carve a place for herself during the Irish Land War.

Synopsis from Amazon:

A heart-wrenching novel in verse about a poor girl surviving the Irish Land Wars, by a two-time Newbery Honor-winning author.

For Anna, the family farm has always been home... But now, things are changing.

Anna's mother has died, and her older siblings have emigrated, leaving Anna and her father to care for a young sister with special needs. And though their family has worked this land for years, they're in danger of losing it as poor crop yields leave them without money to pay their rent.

When a violent encounter with the Lord's rent collector results in Anna and her father's arrest, all seems lost. But Anna sees her chance and bolts from the jailhouse. On the run, Anna must rely on her own inner strength to protect her sister--and try to find a way to save her family.

Written in verse, A Slip of a Girl is a poignant story of adversity, resilience, and self-determination by a master of historical fiction, painting a haunting history of the tensions in the Irish countryside of the early 1890s, and the aftermath of the Great Famine.

A Junior Library Guild Selection
A Bank Street Best Book of the Year

What to Love:

1.  Anna is a feisty heroine who is brave beyond her years in standing up to land agent’s and fighting for her her family. I felt for her from the first page, where the author did such a great job of establishing the close ties Anna has with her mother, who dies early in the book.

2.  Anna’s sister has a disability (though it’s never clearly stated), and I particularly liked how protective Anna was of Nuala. And (spoiler alert)—it was touching how Nuala finally found her home.

3. The author has a personal connection to this story. She was inspired to write it based on her great-grandmother, who took part in the Irish Land War. I enjoyed hearing how Giff visited her great-grandmother’s house in Ireland in the author’s note.

4. Real photos from the time are included between the poems. This made it feel like you were reading a memoir rather than fiction.

If you love MG historical fiction or novels-in-verse, you will love this book!

What historical fiction have you enjoyed recently?

For more MMGM reads, please check out Greg Pattridge's Always in the Middle blog.

9 comments:

  1. I love HF and a good book told in verse is fun too. I have read and enjoyed many books by this author. She writes HF beautifully. I am adding this to my list. How interesting that she was inspired by her own family history. Awesome! Thanks for sharing.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know Patricia Reilly Giff had a new book. This sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great story. And I love that photos are interspersed between the poems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm right with you on my admiration for Patricia Reilly Giff's books. This sounds both heartbreaking and heartwarming.Thanks for featuring it on MMGM. I've added it to my future read list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Giff's work and this novel sounds intriguing. You don't read many MG book about the Irish Land Wars. I have Irish heritage, so this would intrigue me. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a great book! I've heard many good things about Patricia Reilly Giff's work, and it's neat that real photos from the time are included in the book! (Also, I don't think I've ever seen a historical fiction novel in verse before!) Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for highlighting this novel. Like you, I admire novels in verse but have a preference for reading prose.I'll check this one out. Interesting how so many stories from the beautiful emerald isle are so sad. The Irish do have a gift for poignancy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been trying to get my hands on a copy of this for awhile. It looks like my library finally has it in. Thanks for the reminder and for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete