Wednesday, October 7, 2020

ISWG: The Unexpected Benefit of Staying Home



In July, I wrote about my tendency to put off everything to the summer or “Octember”—that mystical month when everything gets done. I have to report that I’ve accomplished a lot last summer.

And that’s made me wonder why.  

I like to look back on the Golden Age of my writing—when I accomplished the most—as the year my oldest was in afternoon kindergarten, and my youngest still took naps. Oh, I had a glorious two hours each day to write. I accomplished much.

But the key was, I couldn’t go anywhere during those two hours. Running to my keyboard was the most exciting option.

This summer, I did work part time for a few weeks, but that structure was helpful. On my days off, I focused on writing. On the days I worked, I gave myself grace and set very low expectations.

I also read some nonfiction. I don’t know what it is about nonfiction that inspires me more than anything else. I got jazzed about two new story ideas—I’m still not sure which I’m going to focus on, but there’s something about new ideas that keeps writing fresh.

I also discovered that if I don’t work on the same thing all the time, I don’t get bored. Right now, I flit between writing blog posts, writing/researching the new projects, and revising my old project. This variety keeps me energized.

When this post is published, I will have been back at full-time work for over a month. September is my busiest, craziest month with the start of school for me as teacher, a homeschooling mom, and it’s also happens to be the month of my 23rd anniversary. Whew! It feels sometimes if I can just make it to the end of the month in one piece I have done well.

I’ve prepped a lot of blog posts ahead of time, but I think September could still be productive because I probably won’t be doing as many outside activities as usual.
 

Maybe that’s one benefit of all the craziness of the last few months. Staying home more has been a gift. It’s given me more time to write. More time to read. More time with my family. Also, I’ve found without the constant input from people outside my family, I’m less prone to care what other people think.

And I don’t know about you, but caring what other people think is a huge roadblock for my writing. It’s hard to write anything when you imagine people looking over your shoulder, already judging your work.

So, although I can’t say that I’m thankful for all that’s happened in the last few months, I am thankful for having more time at home.

As Mrs. Elton says in Emma: “Ah! there is nothing like staying at home for real comfort writing.”

This month's question: I consider myself to be a hobbyist/aspiring writer, and this is even after I have sold some of my writing. Perhaps it's because writing isn't my day job or that the sales are few and far between. I don't think it's wrong to consider yourself a hobbyist. Hobbyist love their hobbies, and that's where I am at with my writing right now. When I treated it like a career, I ended up feeling guilty all the time and not enjoying it. I write better when I enjoy it, so I'll stay a hobbyist.

Has staying home more affected your writing? What are your writing goals for the fall? Are you a working writer or a hobbyist?




6 comments:

  1. That's great that you were able to focus more on your writing when you had a little structure of work but mostly staying home. It's good to find those silver linings during these challenging times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who cares what others think? As I just read on another blog post, when we get older we realize no one was thinking about us at all. Just write for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I write at home. My office is in my basement. However, Covid was a blessing because everything around me was quiet in my external environment outside my house.
    Keep writing. Don't give up.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's interesting how the words we use affect our writing. I prefer working writer, or just writer to hobbyist because although I love to play with words, I also hope to share them.
    I consider you a working writer, but if you are happy saying hobbyist, then I'm glad you've found a place of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My life, and specifically my writing life, is not much different these days, even as so much is different out there. Home is where I've been working as a fulltime wife and mother AND writer for two decades now. IMO a writer is one who writes regularly in a disciplined way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a working writer. Staying home has affected my writing due to my lack of a schedule. You'd think it would help my productivity, but it's quite the opposite. It's easier to write when I have a limited time slot for it. Great post. Happy IWSG!

    ReplyDelete