Monday, April 12, 2021

MMGM: Death Cloud

 

 


 

We’re a huge fan of mysteries at our house. When we have a long car trip (which admittedly doesn’t happen as often now), we usually listen to Sherlock Holmes on Librovox. Monk is a family favorite. My 16 year old son (reader extraordinaire) got the Complete Tales of Sherlock Holmes for his last birthday and has read it cover to cover multiple times. I was really drawn to the idea of a young Sherlock Holmes.

If you like a plot-driven tale with lots of nods to Holmes, you will love this book! And it’s the first of a series, so you could be busy for a long time.

Synopsis from Amazon:

It is the summer of 1868, and Sherlock Holmes is fourteen. On break from boarding school, he is staying with eccentric strangers―his uncle and aunt―in their vast house in Hampshire. When two local people die from symptoms that resemble the plague, Holmes begins to investigate what really killed them, helped by his new tutor, an American named Amyus Crowe. So begins Sherlock's true education in detection, as he discovers the dastardly crimes of a brilliantly sinister villain of exquisitely malign intent.

What I liked:

1.   Great sidekicks! I really enjoyed Matty, a street-smart orphan. Sherlock treated him as his equal, and Matty was important to the plot and solving the crime. In Conan Doyle’s books, Sherlock takes the lead in detection, but I liked how Sherlock needed his friends in this book. Victoria, a sort-of sidekick and love interest, was an equal partner in facing down the villain as well.

2.   An interesting villain. The villain’s backstory, his particular weaknesses, and the why behind his actions were some of the most interesting parts of the book. Behind every good plot is strong villain!

3.  A large canvas. It was fun that the plot took place in lots of locations—London, the countryside, a boarding school, France, a water boat, a tunnel under London.

4.   High stakes. The bad guys are really bad and do not shrink from trying to harm a child. This makes this book a little on the violent side for MG, but the high stakes led to a fast paced read.

5.  Great fun for Holmes fans! It’s always fun to imagine your favorite character in another setting. Although at times he was less eccentric than the original Holmes, I really enjoyed reading about Sherlock at 14. Mycroft makes a few appearances as well!

Minor Quibbles: Due to the multiple murders and attempted murders, I would classify this as upper MG and not for sensitive readers.


What mysteries have you loved lately?

If you'd like to read more middle grade reviews or join in the MMGM fun, go to Greg Pattridge's Always in the Middle blog.


 


23 comments:

  1. I love this series, but the Justin Bieber style cover makes my students laugh. I need to check if I have all of the books-- there were six the last time I checked. I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the version with the older cover--much better!

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a great series. I love mysteries so will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like it, especially if you like Holmes.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the review. This sounds like a fantastic read. I do love a good mystery- and thanks for letting us know that it is better for upper middle grade readers. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fun! thanks for introducing me to young Sherlock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're looking forward to reading the next in the series!

      Delete
  5. What a thrilling mystery series about the young Sherlock Holmes. This will be popular among readers! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely very exciting, especially the second half. Thanks for stopping by, Patricia!

      Delete
  6. This sounds like an interesting series. My partner and I recently watched the young Sherlock Holmes. Have you seen it? I wish it had been more than a one off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I have. Death Cloud, especially the first scenes at Sherlock Holmes' school reminded me of it.

      Delete
  7. I love the idea to feature Sherlock as a 14 year old. This one will have to be added to my growing pile of summer reads. Thanks for joining us on today's MMGM.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Sherlock Holmes. Very interested to see him at work as a teen. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's so fun to see our favorite characters in different contexts. Thanks for stopping by, Maria!

      Delete
  9. What a clever idea for a series! It sounds like the idea is well-executed as well, and I appreciate the high stakes. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High stakes makes for a quick read. Thanks for stopping by, Completely Full Bookshelf!

      Delete
  10. This is new to me & I used to love the Sherlock Holmes' stories, will check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hadn't heard of this. I do love a good mystery. I will have to check this one out. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love mysteries and I'm a Sherlock Holmes fan and love pastiches that involve him. This sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete