Wednesday, April 7, 2021

ISWG: What I Learned About Writing From Atomic Habits




Every few years I pick up a time management book. I'm always hoping that it’s going to help me be more organized, write more, and well, do all the things. Like New Year’s resolutions, my new habits generally only last for a short while. But reading these books, which tend to say the same things in different ways, always prods me to get writing.

Recently, I read Atomic Habits. I guess it’s quite popular, but I’m not one to really pay much attention to bestseller lists.

I thought he had a lot of great points and good reminders—like good habits are not about will power, but about making the good habit more attractive and easier. 

So true. I write better when I have a cup of Earl Gray and listen to the La La Land Song Track. “The Fools Who Dream” song inspires me every time.

But my biggest takeaway from Atomic Habits was: “The greatest threat to success is not failure but boredom.”


His point was that we often think that people are successful because they “really want it” or “have a lot of passion,” so when we get bored or don’t feel passionate about our dreams, we feel like we aren’t passionate enough. But the truth is, those people who are successful don’t always feel passionate or excited about their work either. The difference is that they keep showing up, even on the boring days.

Perhaps this is another way to say BIC (Butt in Chair), but what I liked about is that I often beat myself up because I feel so-so about writing. Sometimes I wonder why I’m even writing or maybe if I was more passionate, more driven, or more (fill in the blank), I would be farther along by now.

But it’s not true. I have a very busy life. But I am plugging away one word at a time. And that’s what I’ve learned is important. I am doing the other things he suggested too. Making writing easier for me—putting my laptop  where it’s easy for me to access. Having an accountability partner.

But even more important (and this is not in the book) is giving yourself grace when writing doesn’t go as planned. When you’re not super excited about your plot. When you’re stuck. It’s still showing up or maybe giving yourself permission to step away or do “research” instead.

Because passion will wane, but if you can keep working even when it’s boring, you will finish that book, story, poem, or article.

Do you think passion or conquering boredom is more important to writing success?


 To read more ISWG posts or to sign up, go Insecure Writer's Support Group.

The awesome co-hosts for the April 7 posting of the IWSG are 

PK Hrezo, Pat Garcia, SE White, Lisa Buie Collard, and Diane Burton!

Our Twitter handle is @TheIWSG and hashtag is #IWSG.



8 comments:

  1. What great advice to make our good habits easier to accomplish. We tend to focus on the willpower aspect of it too much. And it's great advice to step away or do another task in your writing when you're stuck. Sometimes I just put an "X" in a little section of a story that I'm stuck on and go back to it later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I like your idea of adding an X, Natalie!

      Delete
  2. Giving yourself grace is important not only in writing, but in life in general. We are told that we have to be the best, and that's not possible. What's important is to do YOUR best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Showing up for the job is a requirement in any activity, not just writing. As a parent, just being there for the kids is half the work. As a computer programmer, just coming to work every day counts. You don't have to be perfect. Don't demand perfection of yourself. Or passion. Or excitement. Sometimes, they happen, and sometimes, they don't. But you have to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very true. It's like inspiration. If we only wrote when inspired, we'd hardly ever write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Olga, I like what you say about just being there.
    So true, Alex. If we wait for inspiration, it never happens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great reminder! A lot happens when we show up and do the work (fun or boring). Sounds like a good book- and I appreciate you sharing the big takeaway with us. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete