Wednesday, November 3, 2021

ISWG: Only So Many Words

 

Photo by Florian Klauer on Unsplash

When I was in high school, my English teacher asked me to be on the high school yearbook. She knew I liked writing, so why not write for a school publication? Much to her surprise, I said no. I wanted to save my words for my fiction writing. I thought if I worked on the yearbook, I'd use all my words up on that. I wouldn’t have any words left over for my own writing.

As an adult, it’s much harder to save my words, and prioritize my own writing.

But that’s what I’ve been doing lately. I’m not blogging as much—sorry faithful readers—but I am writing.

I am now almost half way with a draft of a new YA novel. I’m happier and more excited about writing than I’ve been in a long time. So, perhaps this saving my words thing is working.

Never fear, I do plan to get back into writing on this blog more frequently and doing book reviews again. As soon as I can manage to juggle both.

This month’s question: do you find the title or the back copy harder to write?


Back copy hands down. My husband is really good at titles. He’s come up with 80% of my titles. But struggling through a query synopsis is very hard. I’ve gotten better at it over the years, but it’s still not my favorite thing.


How about you? Do you find that if you do a lot of writing for other purposes, you don't have words left for your own writing? And which do you find harder: back copy or titles?

 

What is Insecure Writer's Support Group?

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time - and return comments. This group is all about connecting!

 To see more IWSG posts, go here. 



 



4 comments:

  1. That's great that your husband can help you with titles. Will he help me with mine? Awesome that you're so inspired to write your current manuscript.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    One of the reasons that I stopped blogging often was because I wanted to write. I still blog but mainly on IWSG, which is once a month and the WEP which is six times a year.
    Wishing you all the best in your writing endeavors.

    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice that you have a collaborator. My husband is a huge help to me in my plots. I cherish having his input. Happy IWSG day, Jenni.

    ReplyDelete