Wednesday, May 6, 2020

ISWG: How To Get in the Zone



I wish I had a recipe for getting in the zone as a writer. More often than not, I am surprised when my writing flows.

And with my busy, crazy life, it’s hard for me to keep a strict schedule or cultivate a perfect atmosphere. I don’t have an office or a writing space. I’ve learned to write in the midst of a lot of distractions.

Yet here is my ideal:

1. A quiet space: Often this is a corner of my bedroom, but I used to go to our cultural center to write in the lobby on Saturdays. I cannot write in coffee shops. It’s too tempting to listen in to conversations (a.k.a. research).


2. Writing longhand: I have discovered recently that I write better if I write in longhand. I’m less distracted, and a notebook is more portable than a computer. Right now I’m mostly working on my computer because I’m revising, but longhand is ideal.

Longhand draft of this post

3. Music: I’m not a huge fan of listening to music while I’m writing, but I do use it to inspire me or get me immersed in my setting. (Ex: Celtic music while writing about Scotland or Renaissance instruments for a historical.) But if I want to get pumped and inspired, it’s the La La Land soundtrack all the way. Especially this song:


4.  Beverage: If I have a big mug of chai next to me, I feel like writing is a treat. Which it is. It seems the busier I am, the more I cherish my writing time. And when I see it as a gift, not a burden, I tend to focus better.
One of my favorite places to walk: Herbert Hoover actually swam in this pond as a boy.
5.  Walks: Walking, which I don’t do often enough before writing, helps me write better. It’s amazing how many plot holes can be solved once you step away from the computer.

But other than that, the only secret I’ve discovered is that getting in the zone only happens when you show up. I love that moment when plot points come together or a character does something unexpected but just right for the story. Unfortunately, I can’t predict when those moments will happen. But they are more likely to happen if I write as often as I can.


This month's question: Do you have any rituals for getting in the zone as a writer? Please share in the comments!


To find out more about Insecure Writer's Support group or to sign up, go HERE.

Video of "Audition: The Fools Who Dream" from Fandango via Youtube.
Photos are my own.

13 comments:

  1. Showing up has to happen! Walks are good for your mind, body, and story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire you for writing longhand. I might not be able to read what I wrote. And I love to take walks for exercise, mental health, and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, many times Amen, to all the above.I especially resonate to walking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a neat list Jenni. I think it goes for me too except that your notebook is so neat. Mine is just incoherent scribbles all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this: "getting in the zone only happens if you show up." You just have to get stuck in, and sometimes those unexpected moments happen when you're not overthinking it. I also admire anyone who can write drafts in longhand. My handwriting is so bad I would spend half the time typing up trying to decipher it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this, Jenni - "...I feel like writing is a treat. Which it is. It seems the busier I am, the more I cherish my writing time. And when I see it as a gift, not a burden, I tend to focus better." I think this is a great reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yes - coffee shops. I wish I could write there, but I can't either. I'm too busy paying attention to everyone around me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also love walking and head-writing when the weather's good, but my routine for getting in the zone is a) hot tea; b) bum in chair and c) start at the beginning and rewrite until I get to the point where I finished the previous time. Seems to work, but it's not a fast process!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love writing long-hand too, Jenni. It's a more physical act than typing and I find I'm less censoring when I write by hand than type. And haven't you noticed that all good writers were great walkers too?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I write long-hand first as well! V. cool. Typing it out into a word doc is the first part of my editing process. Great post. Happy IWSG!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jenni,

    I do many of the same things. I LOVE your statement, "And when I see it as a gift, not a burden, I tend to focus better." I need to think that way when I dread having to write...I had much joy with writing, but lately, I find it is more a chore than a pleasure... Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been unwilling to show up lately, but when I do it's rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing your ideal rituals for getting in the zone. The ones you shared are similar to mine. I often start the day with a quiet time in my car with a senior cup of McDonald’s coffee. I try to start by writing words of praise, thanksgiving and prayer in a special journal. Then I have a time of Bible study or inspirational teaching (radio or on-line). Then I prayerfully plan my day, often noting on my daily calendar or planner writing or writing related goals and times to work on them. I find I write best in the morning after my prayer time or at times when I’m outside in nature. I am trying to encourage others daily either by calling or by sharing on-line. Recently, I have been trying to get to know other writers.
    I am very thankful to have found your blog. I am a retired special education teacher and writer. I have a dream to get my children’s book ideas published one day.

    ReplyDelete