Monday, May 18, 2020

When You Can’t Travel, Dream



In Vermont in 2017--my first plane trip in over 20 years!

If you look at my bio, you’ll think I’m a world traveler. But most people don’t know that most of my world traveling was done in my 20s. After I returned from Honduras, it was over 20 years before I got on a plane again.

I know a lot of people are feeling disappointed about not being able to travel right now. If you’ve had to cancel plans, what to do?

Here are a few things I’ve done over the years when I wanted to travel, but couldn’t for one reason or another.

1.    Explore your own town: Right now, it may not be possible to do much locally, except walk local trails. We are taking in all of our city’s parks, which are still open. Getting take out treats from our favorite bakeries and ice cream stores can feel like a vacation.

2.    Do research for your next vacay: Make a Pinterest mood board or an old-fashioned collage or idea journal. Before all this happened, I was planning a trip to the Redwoods. I can still read travel books and collect ideas, even if the trip is not as soon as I hoped.

3.    Read a travelogue: Some of my most memorable reads have been travel accounts.


 
How the Heather Looks by Joan Bodger—A book about a family who takes their children to England to explore all the settings of their favorite children’s books

The Brendan Voyage by Tim Severi—A story of a man who builds a boat trying to replicate the voyage an Irish monk took to the new world.

4.    Watch a travel show. I’ve always loved Rick Steve’s European specials, but I’ve recently discovered Samantha Brown’s Places to Love. All three seasons of her PBS specials are free on her website. She travels to other places besides Europe, and I really enjoy watching her travels in the U.S. as well.

Have you had to cancel any trips due to the current crisis? What do you to quell the travel bug when you have to stay home?

10 comments:

  1. Great tips. I don't travel as much anymore but I always go to Dallas to visit my husband's family. This year we were going to bring my daughter's boyfriend. That will have to wait until it's safer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your trip to Dallas sounds like a great way to connect with family. I hope that you'll be able to go once things get back to some semblance of "normal."

      Delete
  2. Been travelling virtually for so long, life doesn't seem different to me. But my young'uns lives sure are different, and I feel for them.
    I always thought books are the best travels. They even travel in time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, most of my travelling happened in my 20s and 30s. We became homebodies with the arrival of children and loved it. My passport even expired. But Max and I had planned to go on a mission trip to Calcutta this summer--he was supposed to leave May 10 and I on May 18. But we are home and not unhappy. Feeling called to serve in hidden ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I think about traveling and what we'd like to see, but every time we go some place we can't wait to get back home. A couple of old stick-in-the-muds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recommendation of Samantha Brown's Places to Love. I've found a lot of travel videos on YouTube are good, especially Rick Steves's. They're great for virtual travelling, taking me right back to places I've been or transporting me to places I'd like to visit. Good for writing research, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice. Will look for Joan Bodger's book and Samantha Brown's show. I'm also a fan of Rick Steeves and his show.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting and especially the Samantha Brown PBS tip. Looking forward to browsing through her episodes.

    ReplyDelete